Help identify this boat?

Caitlin6

Visit site
Hi there,
I know this is a Massive long shot and most likely won't get much but I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the make of a sailing boat my grandfather sailed across the Tasman sea on. It was sailed from Auckland, New Zealand to the east coast of Australia in the early 1960s and then returned back to Auckland from Sydney a year or so later.
Since my grandmother and grandfather have both passed away I can't ask them, and the only definite photo I have is this of them sitting at the back of the boat and I might be able to find one of my grandmother at the side of the boat. I'm hoping someone might be able to lead me in the right direction of what type it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tumblr_ojyx6aOgST1u61upgo1_1280.jpg

Mad Pad

Visit site
Hi there,
I know this is a Massive long shot and most likely won't get much but I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the make of a sailing boat my grandfather sailed across the Tasman sea on. It was sailed from Auckland, New Zealand to the east coast of Australia in the early 1960s and then returned back to Auckland from Sydney a year or so later.
Since my grandmother and grandfather have both passed away I can't ask them, and the only definite photo I have is this of them sitting at the back of the boat and I might be able to find one of my grandmother at the side of the boat. I'm hoping someone might be able to lead me in the right direction of what type it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tumblr_ojyx6aOgST1u61upgo1_1280.jpg

Fairly unusual steering arrangement , might help to identify her.

I guess the tiller took up too much of the cockpit and was retro fitted with wheel?

As a guess to size I would have thought maybe 45'?

Best of luck in your search.

Mad Pad

lw395

Visit site
Fairly unusual steering arrangement , might help to identify her.

I guess the tiller took up too much of the cockpit and was retro fitted with wheel?

As a guess to size I would have thought maybe 45'?

Best of luck in your search.

Mad Pad
Not that unusual on a ketch, if the mizzen is ahead of a small cockpit.

The image in A1's post suggests bermudan rig due to the sail seams?
Other than that it could be a wide variety of boats.
Does the bulwark/deck arrangement suggest fishing boat conversion rather than purpose built yacht?
Or some other working boat where a lower deck is desirable?
Could be by any one of lots of builders, many of whom long forgotten.
The lady's attire looks optimistic. Reminds me of a friend who came sailing in white jeans. Not ideal for a boat kept in Portsmouth Harbour. Not quite white at the end of the day.

Tranona

Visit site
Suspect it is a schooner rig and probably based on a NE US coast fishing boat design. The steering system is quite common on that type of boat and in fact still in production by Edson.

The boat could be either a yacht built in the style of a workboat or a converted commercial boat. Such things were popular in the 1920's and 30's.

jwilson

Visit site
The wheel arrangement shouts "American" - but apart from that absolutely no way of identifying the boat from those photos unless someone somewhere knows the specific boat very well indeed.