Help! Club Insurance.

Pkewish

Visit site
I am a committee member of a 'virtual' club, we have no premises, no equipment and raise about £1k - £1.5k a year in subs from our 50 odd members. We organise mostly social rallies ( on members yachts) but also take part in at least 1 race a year in chartered yachts.

The committee members are concerned that any injury could result in a claim to the organising committee, and could well be in the
Millions!

We have looked at a number of insurance products, taken advice from the RYA and have found the premium so high that it make the club and events financially unviable.

We know that any claim resulting from an injury, could be covered by the individual members yacht insurance but the charter ones only cover losses to property, not personal injury and certainly not public liability. Of those insurance policies that do cover PL, here are restriction for e.g dangerous sports and off shore.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Is so, what was your solution?

TIA

Peter

theoldsalt

Visit site
Yes, Some years ago I founded a cruising club solely for social purposes mainly to fill the "empty" winter evenings for yachties living many miles from their boats. I too investigated liability insurance to indemnify the officers and committee against any claim from the public and fellow members. I discovered that the typical premiums exceeded the club's annual income. Unfortunately the issue was never resolved during my tenure.

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
We had the same situation and don't have insurance. For rallies that is just a shared destination. Each skipper is responsible for their boat as if they were going there on their own and must make their own decision regarding navigation/weather/crew etc. If a boat offers drinks and nibbles on board, the skipper of that boat is responsible for those on board so must satisfy themselves on numbers on board etc etc. All the club does is arrange a time and place. if a meal is booked for the members attending then no different to a group of friends going for a meal and venue is responsible.

Using a chartered boat then I would expect the charter company to have insurance and if chartered as professionally skippered it is the skippers/charterers responsibility for what happens regarding that boat. If chartered unskippered then I think it gets somewhat murkier. Whilst the charter company has responsibilities, the skipper could be held liable in certain circumstances and if they are seen to represent the club then the club could also be seen to be liable.

Anyway all that is my opinion and not necessarily fact.

Our club has no involvement in racing and operate rallies under a set of rules stating what I said at the beginning.

We did get a bit worried about the new rules on food allergies for a bit at our events but the rules are written such that for small non-catering organisations it is not much different to you holding a party at your house.