Health insurance

blackbeard

Visit site
I'm about to spend 2 or 3 weeks sailing from Med (Sicily) back to UK.
Is it really worth while spending money on healthcare insurance for this trip, given that I think I'm in better shape than most people my age (65), and that I have (of course) got a Euro health card (E111)?
and if there really could be a bill, I would sooner take the risk of having to pay it myself rather than pay an insurance company's admin costs.
On the other hand, some people seem to think it's essential - why? and if it is, which insurance company is recommended?

matelot

Visit site
My father in law at 89 thinks he's in excellent health but cant get travel insurance at all - I guess because the chances of him becoming ill and costing serious dosh is just too high.

What I'm getting at is that neither you nor I think 65 is old and clearly we both think we are fit. But the reality is that we are in the last quarter of our lives and the risk of something nasty happening whilst doing a strenuous (for us) sail is high. The cost of being medivacced is horrendous and dont forget that the foreign equivalents of the RNLI sometimes charge too.

A

Anonymous

Insurance is about paying a premium proportionate to a risk. Only you can decide whether, for you personally, the cost of the premium is worth the risk. Loads of liveaboards and long-term cruisers 'insure themselves' as they put it....they save the premiums but accept that one day they might be hit. Some will be over-optimistic, others will be in pocket. If you are Mr Average (for your age and profile) then you should on the theory of probability save the costs and profits made by the insurance company and underwriters - maybe 75% of the premium for a travel policy, so a friend in the business told me.

One thing you really need to be clear about is the very small print. Under existing rules you have a cooling off period after receiving the policy during which you can cancel at zero cost. This gives you a chance to check the small print. It's a pain to send it all back, though, so try to download the entire policy (insist on the LATEST version, often the d/ls are old) and check that you really WILL be covered for the thing that matter to you.

Check in particular...

1. Medical - previous illnesses, required declarations - you will possibly have to telephone a premium rate number to declare these and you don't have any proof that you have declared them. For many, asthma is a no-no. With some policies, undeclared illnesses are not covered, with others they seem free to decide whether a previous illness or condition might be relevant to the claim. If you haven't checked before, you might be astounded at the list of things that has to be declared otherwise you might not be insured.

2. Residency - no problem for short breaks but worth checking how the insurer defines your residency and whether that disqualifies you.

3. Activities - many policies don't cover sailing or other watersports

4. Personal items - declare valuables and be sure to have proof of purchase of ownership at home. If they are stolen they WILL ask you for proof of ownership. Even a photo is better than nothing.

pagreen

Visit site
My Dad is 86 and travel to USA 4 times a year. He has insurance through the AA. No medical or restrictions on a year round policy . Costs about 100 euro.

sky7liner

Visit site
I have had annual travel insurance for some years. When I started yachting I checked with the insurance co to make sure I was covered. They told me that I was covered up to 10 NM from the UK coastline. I've changed companies and the current travel insurance co says that I'm covered in foreign waters but not in UK waters.

Like they say, you have to read the detail.

andymcp

Visit site
That's the most regular issue I have had with 'standard' travel insurance - distance from land. The last 2 policies I looked into had a UK limit of 5 miles from land and a forgeign limit of 3.