Hayling Island Ferry closed ?

Boo2

Visit site
Apologies if it's been posted before but I did a forum search without finding anything. Just seen the following dating from Mar 31st this year : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-32131350

The only ferry linking an island off Hampshire to Portsmouth has stopped operating, with the company set to appoint administrators.
About 70 school children and commuters face a 32-mile round-trip instead of a three-minute ride on the Hayling Island Ferry to Eastney.

The Hayling Island Ferry company said it had filed a notice at court to appoint administrators.

I've checked their website here : http://www.haylingferry.co.uk/contact-and-find-us/4586622074 and the last tweet dated 31st March just says "Closed".

Anyone know the skinny on this and whether / when they might reopen ?

I tried to contact them Monday PM as I was after a lift from my mooring and wondered if they could get up as far as Sword Point to pick me up. Got no reply on CH 10 and couldn't work out the phone number from the old version of Cunliffe's Channel Pilot but I phoned just now and nobody picked up so it looks like it's true.

Boo2

Giblets

Visit site
The company running the ferry went into administration. I did hear that someone else is in the process of buying it but no further news to date. I have never known the ferry to pick people up from boats on moorings though.

Boo2

Visit site
The company running the ferry went into administration. I did hear that someone else is in the process of buying it but no further news to date. I have never known the ferry to pick people up from boats on moorings though.

It would be great news to hear it was reopening.

They did give people rides from their boats, this is mentioned in the Shell Channel Pilot and also one of the skippers said it to me when I went down to Langstone a while back to scope it out. I don't know if they can reach as far N as Sword Point though ?

Boo2

Boo2

Visit site

ripvan1

Visit site
Ferry is sitting in Southsea Marina at present. Can't see it re-opening 'til after school holidays when grants from county and local councils have been put back in place.

Seajet

Visit site
That's a real shame and a glaring opportunity being missed; I chatted with a chum about this as we went past this last Saturday, think a small car ferry would be ideal but it might distort the traffic flow, it's already a right pain getting off Hayling in the morning and back in the evening.

When I lived in Southsea it was lovely to take my pushbike along Eastney, catch the ferry then trundle down the old Hayling Billy track to Langstone village; surely this ferry must be set up again some time soon, or stand by to see a service via Anderson 22 ! :)