Have you ever wished...

Paul&Ness

Visit site
A few weeks ago the throttle cable from the FB engine control to Stbd engine came apart at the crimp and I was advised to change the Port throttle cable at the same time as the Stbd but decided to save a few quid. I now wish I had had changed both cables because today whilst leaving Cowes I had to hold off South of the chain ferry whilst it crossed in front of me and yes you guessed it, as I engaged gear and eased the throttle forward I got nothing from the Port engine! Fortunately the boat does about 6 knots on tick over with the gearbox engaged so made it out of Cowes and then moved to the lower helm position for the trip back to Southampton. So todays lesson; take advantage of other peoples wisdom and be proactive with boat maintenance not reactive!

In hindsight, have you ever wished that you followed someones advice but didn't?

Solitaire

Visit site
A few weeks ago the throttle cable from the FB engine control to Stbd engine came apart at the crimp and I was advised to change the Port throttle cable at the same time as the Stbd but decided to save a few quid. I now wish I had had changed both cables because today whilst leaving Cowes I had to hold off South of the chain ferry whilst it crossed in front of me and yes you guessed it, as I engaged gear and eased the throttle forward I got nothing from the Port engine! Fortunately the boat does about 6 knots on tick over with the gearbox engaged so made it out of Cowes and then moved to the lower helm position for the trip back to Southampton. So todays lesson; take advantage of other peoples wisdom and be proactive with boat maintenance not reactive!

In hindsight, have you ever wished that you followed someones advice but didn't?

Oh yes! Not on a boat though, my car however is a different story! Now if anything goes wrong where there is a tandem connection then the other "bit" gets changed. Nice to see you using the boat though��

Paul&Ness

Visit site
Not sure details about the boat are as important as the moral of the story... But to complete the picture, it's a 1992 Princess 368, twin Cummins 300's 6BTA5.9M2's and I believe that they are ZF drive gearboxes.