Have Sailing Uma lost their way?

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Is it me or have they lost their way recently? As entrepreneurial spirits they started with an interesting proposition: they video documented their business, or to be more accurate, their video documenting was their business. In choosing to renovate an old sailing yacht they combined the themes of messing about in boats, DIY, and reusing/recycling old bits of equipment. Their use of video and editing techniques was good.

In the second phase, the learning to sail and Caribbean traveling, they developed these photographic skills further. Here they introduced interior design ideas and started the move towards sponsorship and replacing old equipment with state-of-the-art kit. An important thing to note here, I think, is their integrity; in one of the comments on YouTube they stated that they would never accept any goods unless they had complete freedom to describe them in the way that they wanted (best illustrated in the experience of fridge units).

The third phase, the challenging sailing of across the Atlantic and entering the Arctic circle, was intermitted by exploits on the UK south coast and Holland.

Over the years they have combined these topics, popular on TV, with their personalities - Kika's Mrs Malaprop and Dan's irony - to make hugely entertaining videos. Bravely, they also introduced the inequalities between first and third world countries.

However, recently they appear to have lost inspiration. In one episode they showed irritation with us who contacted the coastguard. This is understandable but to show it in the video? Although I loved it I did wonder about the half hour of just sailing noises from Iceland. Since then they have spent two episodes high tailing it down to Oban and the crinan canal. Are they in a hurry!!! Kika spent several minutes saying that she she didn't realise she would sail past somewhere she stayed in once. Although Dan talked about one of the largest whirlpools in the world he didn't name it or or mentioned that they would sell right past it. He didn't even mention the dorus mor and the necessary timings for it. They both talk to camera very well but recently Kika has reverted to voiceovers, something she hasn't done for several years; and it's not her best technique. Overall I've been getting a feeling of content for content's sake.

Don't get me wrong. I think they've done some great work. I just wonder if they've run out of ideas - or are they running to meet with a new idea?

baart

Visit site
I guess to keep it interesting after so many years and produce one episode per week is always going to be a challenge. They are probably still entertaining enough for the majority of their audience just hope they don't go La Vagabonde way of reality TV. But it is like any TV show, to keep the viewers watching season 5 is way more difficult then with season 1 and 2, unless it's Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

We still watch them every now and then but overall prefer Florence and their minimalistic approach. Top 3 though would be Christian Williams, Patrick Laine, and Erik. Shame they don't post videos more often but then they don't seem to need to make money from their channels.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
I guess to keep it interesting after so many years and produce one episode per week is always going to be a challenge. They are probably still entertaining enough for the majority of their audience just hope they don't go La Vagabonde way of reality TV. But it is like any TV show, to keep the viewers watching season 5 is way more difficult then with season 1 and 2, unless it's Sopranos or Braking Bad.

We still watch them every now and then but overall prefer Florence and their minimalistic approach. Top 3 though would be Christian Williams, Patrick Laine, and Erik. Shame they don't post videos more often but then they don't seem to need to make money from their channels.

My favourites Too. The first two always have something interesting to listen too, and Erik, well hes fun to watch. the rest just send me to sleep.

Steveeasy

Wansworth

Visit site
on YouTube there are a lot of English people buying and doing up château s inFrance.It’s only really interesting if it’s a complete basket case but the normal decoration or roof fixing is so boring .A ll seem to believe people will be having weddings at their particular chateau.Interestingly one family has abandoned weddings and has bought another wreak of a convent to restore with supply of content for a while,interesting to know how the finances work

steveeasy

Visit site
Bucking Billy Ray.
more interesting than a sailing channel. He releases a film a day. all he does is weald an axe and play his drums, oh and the chainsaw lifestyle. Funny man though, I dont have a Tee shirt yet,
Steveeasy

robmcg

Visit site
I often wonder about the overall longevity of YouTube sailing channels. Once channels reach 'maturity' ie the boat has been developed to its maximum potential and the crew have become competent at what they do, there isn't a lot of room for expansion or more importantly differentiation from the other channels out there. You don't want it to become a weekly glorified holiday video or a snapshot of a 'perfect' lifestyle which it often isn't. It must be hard to generate up beat content and release it weekly when not much is happening - other than sailing from A-B.

Wansworth

Visit site
I often wonder about the overall longevity of YouTube sailing channels. Once channels reach 'maturity' ie the boat has been developed to its maximum potential and the crew have become competent at what they do, there isn't a lot of room for expansion or more importantly differentiation from the other channels out there. You don't want it to become a weekly glorified holiday video or a snapshot of a 'perfect' lifestyle which it often isn't. It must be hard to generate up beat content and release it weekly when not much is happening - other than sailing from A-B.
We live in the age of reality tv………people like to watch!

Neeves

Visit site
People complain at the cycle of articles in sailing magazines. There are a finite number of topics on which to write and technology does move on, but not often. Why would anyone think sailing videos are any different. Additionally if part of the concept is to be funded then you need to offer refreshing new video as a constant stream - if a sailing magazine struggles why would a couple of amateurs, even if gifted, think they can do better than a team of professionals.

But then I think sailing videos tend to be very tedious - maybe because I can do it in real life.

Now lets talk about anchor videos.......:)

Jonathan

Blueboatman

Visit site
My feeling is that Uma managed the lockdown challenges very well .

It may be that they are now intending to revisit some of their original Euro plans, albeit with a layer of added northern exposure experience ..

As trained architects , I think whatever they do next will be worth a look..
And if they ever do decide to buy a couch , imagine the house /dock/boatbuilding barn that they will design and build around that ??

Kelpie

Visit site
I presume Uma are wanting to get South quickly for some reason. It's a real shame to see them scoot past some amazing sailing grounds. I mean, Stornoway to Oban in one go, why would anybody do that? I was also struck by their reluctance to actually name places. Fear of getting it wrong maybe?

I find that I watch fewer and fewer channels these days. Still follow Florence but that's only every fortnight. I suppose I don't need the escapism any more (smug mode: I'm currently at anchor off a beautiful beach in the Balearics)

dankilb

Visit site
Perhaps our ‘hostile environment’ coupled with EU 90/180 has something to do with the rush?

I should imagine that the general advice for those looking at UK visas for which any processing is required is “don’t”, at present?

Kelpie

Visit site
They've already been through the UK visa system, from what I remember they jumped through many hoops to get to stay longer than the standard 90 days, and in the end got... 90 days. Despite filling out all the the additional forms etc etc.

But I still think if I had three months to get out of the UK, I would not be rushing the West coast.

You wonder what goes on behind the scenes sometimes.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I find that I watch fewer and fewer channels these days. Still follow Florence but that's only every fortnight. I suppose I don't need the escapism any more (smug mode: I'm currently at anchor off a beautiful beach in the Balearics)

I found Uma, Expedition Evans and some others were interesting during original fitout and repairs but now they're out and about are more like travel shows and less inclined to watch.