Have I got time?

Wandering Star

Visit site
I ran out of time on my last visit and still need to replace 2 underwater transducers before my boat is launched on a high Spring tide at 18.45 on this coming Sunday.

Because of other commitments, the earliest I can get to the boat to perform the task is around 10.00 on the same day (this Sunday).

My question (worry) is assuming it takes me an hour to install the new transducers, will 8 hours be long enough wait for the CT1 sealant to be immersed in seawater? The specs mention it sets between 12 - 24 hours but also says it can be applied underwater which I take to mean it’ll be ok to apply on shore and will simply carry on setting even after the boats afloat without loss of integrity?

What do you think? Do you think my timescales are asking for trouble or do you think it’ll be fine? Alternatively is there a quicker setting sealant I could use given the timescale?

Thanks.

Plum

Visit site
I ran out of time on my last visit and still need to replace 2 underwater transducers before my boat is launched on a high Spring tide at 18.45 on this coming Sunday.

Because of other commitments, the earliest I can get to the boat to perform the task is around 10.00 on the same day (this Sunday).

My question (worry) is assuming it takes me an hour to install the new transducers, will 8 hours be long enough wait for the CT1 sealant to be immersed in seawater? The specs mention it sets between 12 - 24 hours but also says it can be applied underwater which I take to mean it’ll be ok to apply on shore and will simply carry on setting even after the boats afloat without loss of integrity?

What do you think? Do you think my timescales are asking for trouble or do you think it’ll be fine? Alternatively is there a quicker setting sealant I could use given the timescale?

Thanks.
You don't have to wait for it to set before launching.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

lustyd

Visit site
I think I'd be nervous starting a one hour boat job that close to launch, given that one hour boat jobs usually take at least two days. I can't see an hour being enough to even find and buy the tools you don't realise you don't have. Have you considered asking to delay launch?

Wandering Star

Visit site
I have everything I need on the boat ready to go and all the job entails is using a hole saw to cut two holes, applying sealant and tightening everything up - what could possibly go wrong???!!! Routing the transducer cables can be left for another day! It’s just the sealant issue - will it be ok to immerse the sealant after only 8 hours which concerns me.

I think after reading the CT1 specs it’ll be fine and Plum above seems to think so too.

jwilson

Visit site
When a seacock failed to open (handle OK but ball inside not turning) with the boat afloat 2 years ago took out the old one, put in wooden bung, and went and bought new seacock. Fitted it with CT1 both sealing the threads and locating the handle at the desired angle. Despite water fountaining in as I did it it has worked perfectly ever since with no leaks.

dankilb

Visit site
Hopefully it’s not a NASA fitting? They only like neutral cure silicone (weak plastic reacts with polyurethane).

lustyd

Visit site
I have everything I need on the boat ready to go and all the job entails is using a hole saw to cut two holes, applying sealant and tightening everything up - what could possibly go wrong???!!!
So you’re new to boats then? ;)

Other threads that may be of interest