Have I been conned?

William_H

Visit site
Capacitors

There is a whole range of capacitors made for interference suppression which have a metal body and mounting lug with a screw terminal at each end. The two screw terminals are connected by a solid rod conductor through the middle which is one terminal of the capacitor the other side of the capacitor being the metal body and mounting lug. Perhaps you might call it an interference suppressor but they are generally known as a feed through capacitor. The theory is that series inductance to the capacitor is minimised compared to having a capacitor connected to a terminal by wires. So it is a case of current going through a capacitor. The body not the actual capacitor just to confuse you.

Regarding polarity of the diaphragm pump. Sure the old fuel pumps had a coil to pull the diaphragm and contact points which opened to release it. So no concern about reverse polarity. The points tended to spark and were a failure point. Electronics being so cheap now it is easy to use a transistor to switch the coil current either from contacts or other proximity device. However this would make the whole thing polarity dependent. So be careful. good luck olewill

oldharry

Visit site
Skipper Stu is probably right that it is some sort of switch.

Undo the inline fuse connector, and using the fuse contact connect it directly to the battery to see if the pump is working or not. 'Flash' it across the live terminal first to make sure there is not a dead short which could set fire to it and your fingers!

KREW2

Visit site
A brief summary,

1) It is a pressure switch, not a capacitor, as thought by me. Thankyou Skipper Stu

2) Motor runs fine when switch is bypassed. both backwards, and forwards.

3) No good one on display, and rubbish in the back. I think this is the only one in captivity.

4) I have now established it doesn't pump.

5) Waste of time for a fiver?.......... I don't think so. I've had a fivers worth of pleasure posting, reading replies and pulling it apart on a bit of a miserable day.

There is no 6, just putting it back together today and hope it works, if it does it's priceless.

Heckler

Visit site
A brief summary,

1) It is a pressure switch, not a capacitor, as thought by me. Thankyou Skipper Stu

2) Motor runs fine when switch is bypassed. both backwards, and forwards.

3) No good one on display, and rubbish in the back. I think this is the only one in captivity.

4) I have now established it doesn't pump.

5) Waste of time for a fiver?.......... I don't think so. I've had a fivers worth of pleasure posting, reading replies and pulling it apart on a bit of a miserable day.

There is no 6, just putting it back together today and hope it works, if it does it's priceless.
What make is it? cause I have one out of my 351, I broke the plastic thread BUT all the electrics are OK.
Can we do a trade either way?
Stu

KREW2

Visit site
It's made by E P Draffin of Australia.
A google search now shows them as a furniture manufacturer.
Being a bit of a collector I also have a J DREX pump, and an old Sureflow.