Haslar SP2 windvane needs repair

steveeasy

Visit site
20190312_164022.jpeg

Ive got a Haslar SP2 Windvane id like to repair and use in he near future. Not knowing too much about these, it seams a gear has been lost that sat in a tufnol frame seen in the image. The gear would lock the vane and a line would run from the missing gear to adjust the steering vane.

Does anyone know where I could get one of these engineered. No spares exist anymore for this type of windvane, but id like to use it rather than discarding it. In their time they were very efficient and simple to use.

Any engineers out there who could knock one up. Any help appreciated.

Thank
Steveeasy

Topcat47

Visit site
Looks very much like a couple of pieces of flat Tufnol have sheared around the large hole. It's not hugely difficult to work, a bandsaw and rasp should be sufficient if you can source the Tufnol stock. Failing that, you might try replacing it with Aluminium. I'm not familiar with the SP2, sadly, so cannot be more help.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Try posting on the model engineer forum & asking if anyone in your area could do it for you
There are loads of ex machinists who could do it easily.
I probably could it was my own, but it is a bit too near the sailing season & with 30 moorings to lay & 2 boats to get ready I am stuck for time
Would do it next winter if you are near CM07LY --so do not dump it just yet

steveeasy

Visit site
Try posting on the model engineer forum & asking if anyone in your area could do it for you
There are loads of ex machinists who could do it easily.
I probably could it was my own, but it is a bit too near the sailing season & with 30 moorings to lay & 2 boats to get ready I am stuck for time
Would do it next winter if you are near CM07LY --so do not dump it just yet

Thanks Topcat. Daydream believer, thanks for the offer. I wonder if I can measure the existing gear, I might be able to order the other gear off the shelf. No not going to dump it. hugely expensive in its time and im sure will be great to use. The last owner used it to sail to the Azores, oh and back.

Steveeasy