Has anyone been and stayed on french canals?

NealB

Visit site
Jos and I have taken several boats through from Calais to Port St Louis (and/ or vice versa).

We've taken a very relaxed 6 weeks(ish) each way, and always really loved it.

A twin engined Comanche would be perfect.

Though Ningaloo (post #2) asks a possible vital question ......

Mudisox

Visit site
I really wanted to find out the current situation. We've been in the canals quite a lot in the past, especially Brittany and have been offered a free mooring at Arzal/ Roche Bernard.

reefknot

Visit site
Jos and I have taken several boats through from Calais to Port St Louis (and/ or vice versa).

We've taken a very relaxed 6 weeks(ish) each way, and always really loved it.

A twin engined Comanche would be perfect.

Though Ningaloo (post #2) asks a possible vital question ......
Twin props are No No

NealB

Visit site
Twin props are No No

We saw loads and loads of TSDYs on our travels.

They didn't seem to be experiencing any particular problems.

Indeed, their easy manoeurvrability, especially in locks, often looked very 'handy'.

Are the props perhaps more vulnerable to grounding damage, or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

Mudisox

Visit site
I've been quite happy, with no problems with twin props, and 4.2m beam on a 1m draft boat. Running on one engine needs a little more skill and attention aiming at locks and needing to remain out of gear until in the lock itself.

reefknot

Visit site

We saw loads and loads of TSDYs on our travels.

They didn't seem to be experiencing any particular problems.

Indeed, their easy manoeurvrability, especially in locks, often looked very 'handy'.

Are the props perhaps more vulnerable to grounding damage, or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?
Having lived on the French canals for a few years on a barge. Boats such as Catamarans were always having difficulty because of sloping banks.

boyblue

Visit site
If you look on the Dutch Barge Ass. forum, there are many blogs of folk living in the EU on their barges, narrow boats, dutch steel motor cruisers and replica dutch barges, most with single screw.
With a twin screw boat in narrow French canals, moving to the side to let a laden barge pass, the starboard screw will most likely be spinning in mud and shingle as the canals are shallow towards the edges. Dutch canals are much wider and normally deeper.
There is no restriction for EU members (us Brits) living on boats anywhere in the EU until December 31st, then I expect we will be limited to 90 days in 180 or hopefully 180 in 365 without a visa. Some live all the time, summer and winter, some only the warm months and boy does it get warm, 40+ degrees. Many books on the subject including author Keith Harris with his entertaining series of four books.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
hi ,, what is the minimum draft st malo to marsailles please ( need 1.6 min )
If it's any help we did port St. Louis to Calais in 2008 in 1.6 draft , we did touch a few times but only soft mud and it was late Oct so there wasn't much water about I think it was because they where lowing it at the time .

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com

cherod

Visit site