Harken winch jaws

MikeBz

Visit site
We have 2 x 42.2 ST and 2 x 56.3 ST Harken sheet winches, 1993 vintage. Regardless of rope diameter the jaws are very poor at holding the rope, under load one person is required to tail the sheet to stop it slipping (even with 4 turns on the 56.3 winches). Left unattended the rope tends to fall out of the jaws even when under load. The jaws on these winches are sprung apart. You can change them to a closer position by pushing down the upper jaw and turning it, but it makes no discernible difference.

Our previous boat had later Harken winches where the jaws are sprung together and forced apart against the springs by the rope, resulting in the rope being actively gripped. Does anyone know is it’s possible to change the jaw mechanism on the earlier winches to this type? Failing that is it possible that the pattern in the jaws is worn, causing the issue? I can’t find spare jaws for sale anywhere for these winches.

I’ve tried the contact form on Harken’s website, and emailing the tech services address from the Harken UK website but have had no response.

IMG_2024-07-22-195859.jpeg

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Rope texture is also a big factor, particularly in cases like yours. My new-to-me trimaran had nice jib sheets that slipped. I hunted around and found an old rope that fits them like a glove. It's well worn but works great.

Hoist

Visit site
we had harken 46s from 2001 and they suffered the same issue and no spares available. We ended up replacing both...

searocket

Visit site
Manuals for the "classic" winch 42.2 and 56.3 ST available on Harken, and they have exploded diagram with parts list / part numbers - which look like yours. And boat-international showed stock on the jaws - but expensive.
https://www.harken.com/en/support/manuals/?category=132&subcategory=135
(I have had no problem getting parts from Harken for the more recent winches once the part number is ascertained).

MikeBz

Visit site
Thanks, I've downloaded the manuals. I'm reluctant to spend many hundreds of pounds on parts. 334 Euros plus tax & shipping for 56 upper & lower jaw from international-boat-spares.com (if they have stock) - an expensive experiment to find out whether replacing the jaw(s) will help. Mind replacing the winches would be another order of magnitude and then a bit...