Hard decisions buying our first tub in the sea.

tom_sail

Visit site
We have two choices, a 27 foot hunter horizon or a 26 foot hunter horizon. Both excactly the same price.

The 27 foot
Under priced by about £3000, but it needs a bit off work, running rigger replacing or atleast cleaning, new navagation lights, new VHF. But comes with a dinghy, newer (1991)

Survey available febuary 2011.

or

The 26 foot

Priced at the same as other 26 footers for sale, less things need doing. More selection of sails. wind generator. Crane in already payed for. Comes with mooring.
But no dinghy, lighter keels to the 27 which means a little bit less forgiving in windy conditions. Older then 27 (1985)

No recent survey

Thoughts would be great :)

Whats the depreciation like for the british hunter make? (or is this like asking how longs a piece of string?)

Thanks

(I'll try and add more information when it comes back to my sieve of a mind)

Last edited:

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I dont know either of these models in detail, but any boat which is newer, a little bigger, and more foregiving has got to be a better buy.

Running rigging, nav lights, cleaning etc are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace with a bit of gumption and effort.

Babylon

Visit site
Don't know much about these particular boats, but in general:

You need to leave aside minor items like dinghy, wind-gen, VHF, nav-lights, etc, and cost of crane-in - they're all relatively easy and inexpensive issues.

Hull, engine, spars and standing-rigging could be expensive items - you need more comparative information.

Fewer sails in better condition is better than more sails which are all worn out - you need more information.

Mooring is very useful, unless you want to moor elsewhere, in a better position, and/or moorings are cheap and easy to come by.

The main issues are:
* Size and stability (the longer and more stable the better; extra length gives more internal space)
* Relative age (younger models tend to have resolved problems of older models, and have had less wear and tear)
* how well looked-after (old one could have been better maintained; also, for EG, crappy topsides could indicate crappy engine maintenance, etc).

What does the 27ft's survey say?

If you're interested in the 26ft, you'd need to get a survey (cost?)

How long have they both been on the market?

Which boat gives you a pang of desire?

Hope this helps

Seajet

Visit site
The 27 will presumably have learned some lessons from the 26, as it is a direct modernisation; as well as the improved keels, the transom was revised to give lower drag.

Do try the bunks properly though, the only way to really 'measure' a boat bunk is to lie on it !

When I tried this in the Horizon 27 'aft cabin' I found my head was lower than my feet !

There's also the rudder post as a 'passion killer' between occupants.

Overall quite a good boat though...as far as I know, moorings are not gold dust in Wales as they are on the South coast ? It's also a very good feeling to lay - or at least specify - one's own mooring, and know what your pride and joy is relying on every time a gale hits...

Seems like the 27 is the best bet to me, as Moody Nick says the work described is nothing significant, but the engine and sails need to be checked thoroughly.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
The survey can be bought from the original survey for about a third of the original cost. You then own that and can use it for insurance purposes. Surely the 27 will always be worth more and be quicker to sell? Like they've said, buy the one you really want, one things for sure though, the day you sign the cheque you'll daily start to see other boats you wish you'd bought :eek:

Cantata

Visit site
I had a 26, I thought it was a pretty good boat, sailed very well.
Can't read the details as your links don't work, but one consideration is that some of these boats were supplied as kits and completed at home, others were factory finished. Mine was a kit and had been finished very well by the first owner, but I saw others that were not well done at all.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
When I tried this in the Horizon 27 'aft cabin' I found my head was lower than my feet !

There's also the rudder post as a 'passion killer' between occupants.

I have the HH273 and can't say I have noticed my feet being up in the air, also the rudder post is actually located aft of the bunkend not between the occupants at all. of course the one you mention might have been a home completed boat that had some imperfect mods done during the build not unknown.

for the OP as others have said the later model would be the better option but there are always lots of variables. Personally I would go with the 27 I am unashamedly biased though.
BTW its a great boat.

tom_sail

Visit site
Thanks for all the replys.

Unfortunately someone viewed the Horizon 27 yesterday and placed an offer above the asking price.

Thanks for all your time.

bendyone

Visit site
We had a 26 for a number of years, very good boat and for us the marina was cheaper as it is less than 8m. The 27 has no more space inside than the 26. Held it,s value well 1985 boat number 21.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I would be suspicious.
Are they trying to bump the price up?
Ask them to call you if the other offer falls through.

If it never existed, you may get a call.

Yes, an estate agent did that trick to me when buying a house (the B*****d)

I had offered a little under the asking price. Throughout the day the agent kept phoning me back saying another offer was made higher than mine. By the end of the day I had reached the asking price and refused to go higher.

I went straight from work, and (un anounced) to the house and spoke to the owner, who knew nothing whatsoever about the other buyer and their offers, thus proving the estate agent was lying.

So just tell the broker you are not entering a bidding war, and to call you back if the other buyer pulls out.

I suspect you may get a call pretty soon.

tom_sail

Visit site
Thanks for the replys the 27 was a private advertisment. Since i last posted the 27 is back up for sale the offer fell though.

We have placed an offer for the 26 pending survey which is tomorrow.

V1701

Visit site
Thanks for the replys the 27 was a private advertisment. Since i last posted the 27 is back up for sale the offer fell though.

We have placed an offer for the 26 pending survey which is tomorrow.

The only people who make offers above the asking price are the scammers. As someone else said the 26 comes below 8 metres so could end up cheaper to keep...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Just for information, boat depreciation is largely driven by the care/ neglect with which they are treated. Look after your boat & keep the equipment up to scratch & she will generally be worth as much or more than you paid for her.

tom_sail

Visit site
Just for information, boat depreciation is largely driven by the care/ neglect with which they are treated. Look after your boat & keep the equipment up to scratch & she will generally be worth as much or more than you paid for her.

Thanks for that advice. I spent an hour scubbing off sea gull's foul of the boat last weekend :eek: Did notice your plastic snake though!