Hand Held VHF

G

If you had a choice and money was not an issue. Which H/Held would you buy?
Taking into account reliabilty, servicing, battery life,etc.

HMCG

Visit site
We use the Icom IC-M1EURO V and find them to be good and very resistant to the kind of heavy handedness we often dish out to them.

Safer lives, safer ships, cleaner seas.

bedouin

Visit site
Depends a bit on your priorities.

The Icom M1 Euro V is very good - as others have said.

As I see the HH VHF as a piece of emergency equipment, I wanted one that was waterproof and would take conventional AA batteries in an emergency. Result was the Garmin - an excellent piece of kit but probably not as easy to use on a day-to-day basis as the ICOM (e.g. no rotary knobs).

BrendanS

Visit site
Icom M1EuroV
Tough, totally waterproof (submersible), excellent battery (very long life, and no memory effect so can be top up charged at any time), easy to use, scanning and bi and tri band watch.

If budget no issue:
Also get the optional waterproof hand mike/speaker, which can be clipped on collar. Wouldn't be without this option now I've used it.
Extra battery
Additional recharge docking station with leads. One left at home, one for boat and car

gtmoore

Visit site
I went for a Simrad HT50 which performs well and appears very robust (not dropped it yet but they're tested from 1 meter apparently). Not cheap but it was pointed out to me here that you may use a handheld for more than just emergencies such as manouvering when talking to the marina. For me it was now a piece of kit that may get far more use that I had anticipated so I spent the extra.

Agree about the Icom M1 too - excellent and very compact.

pkb

Visit site
I've used a Simrad HT50 for several years now. Keep it clipped to its charger beside the chart table so its always there when I need it. Gets lots of use in the cockpit and battery seems to perform well. Highly recommended. Chose an Icom for my fixed set. Both companies make good kit. You pays your money.......

yachtbits

www.yachtbits.com
Re: Hand Held VHF Trials

At South Broads RNLI station, we have simrad ht50's, some ancient Icoms thrown out by another station, some navico's and had some of the new silva's on loan for trials.

The Navico's and Icoms better than the rest by far.

Icom M21 is excellent value at the moment.

kev

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtbits.co.uk>http://www.yachtbits.co.uk</A>
sales@yachtbits.co.uk
marine electrics & electronics

TheBoatman

Visit site
Re: Hand Held VHF Trials

I think my friend that asked me to make the post for him has decided to go to the LBS and try for an Icom Euro c/w waterproof mike etc, because he's a national Racing judge and is mainly operating from RIBS.
Thanks one and all for your help!
BTW the post is from The Boatman but its really me. PA esq.