Hammersmith Bridge (from on top)

Cutter

Visit site
Please excuse a raggy straying onto this forum but I do reside 100m from hammersmith Bridge. I know its low cos I hit my head when walking underneath and guess most river users know that too - so why do so many boat appear to be taken by surprise and seem to hand 5m from the bridge when its obvious they are not getting under. There was one this morning heading downriver and revving away to keep his position. Can you not hang onto a river mooring such as where they keep the rubbish barge by Chiswick Eyot?
Just interested cos if they get into difficulties they will end up wedged underneath the bridge which means it will be closed (again)
Just a thought
will go back to Sbutt now

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Hammersmith is notoriously the lowest one and if you leave when Richmond sluices open and are a taller boat then it can get iffy. I've seen ordinary Seamaster 30s have "moments" at Hammersmith under the exact scenario above.

No real excuse though, its a balance between enough water to float in and enough air above it to get under. There has been a lot of water coming down of late so less room for error.

Brayman

Visit site
I'm actually amazed how many moboers don't realize the problems that Hammersmith can cause and that's in addition to the fact that there is practically no water below Rickmond lock for several hours. Many of them don't know there are height guides both sides of the bridge so if they know their air draught (if?) they don't have to get anywhere near the bridge before backing off.
Dayskipper courses don't do enough in my opinion to teach the perils of tidal rivers (not just the Thames).

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
I too overlook the bridge and am often amazed at the strife some get into. Mind you, its only pleasure boats that have a problem - did you see the bridge strike at last years Boat Race? Made a hell of crunching sound and shut the bridge for 3 weeks!