Halon, a new product?

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/safety/fire_protection/node_GP93PKS23Pbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_JK2H54P6GNge/gvel_JBG6N4HN56gl/theme_us_fireprotection_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html> 3M Site </A>

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Try using Google search engine which comes up with lots of info. I also found this address for info on extinguishers:

United Kingdom 3M House - P.O. Box 1, Market Place
Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1JU
England
United Kingdom (44)-1344-858342

Thanks for the tip, it sounds interesting

Chris Stannard

Paulka

Visit site
Yes, there are new products.
Not since yesterday, but since years, now!
But at what price!!!

Westmarine sells them, the smaller one being priced at $200.- , vs $30 - 35 for the cheapest, dry powder.
I used on my job many types of fire extinguisers, and would let the boat burn down to the waterline rather than using that dry powder stuff, it does more harm than the fire!

So, what's the solution?

I choosed the following :
- to be legal, the cheapest possible legal fire extinguisher hidden in such a way that no one would find it except for inspection.
- to be safe, any number (in my case four) CO2 fire extinguishers, strategically located, in such places, that, in case of a fire, any crew member would instinctively grab for anyone of them.

Of course, the crew is duly informed of the danger of CO2, which is very similar of the danger of Halon, or whatever the new name is.