Halogen to LED

Norman_E

Visit site
Probably. The light output per watt from LED lamps appears to be a bit variable. 3 watt LEDs might well be more powerful than 10 watt halogens, but quality of e-bay LEDs is also a bit variable with some suppliers selling rubbish and others getting decent quality. UK suppliers often source better quality than the ones sold by unknown Chinese sellers. Best bet is to buy one or two and try them.

pagoda

Visit site
UK suppliers often source better quality than the ones sold by unknown Chinese sellers. Best bet is to buy one or two and try them.

Many UK suppliers bulk buy from China and sell on... However as suggested buy a small selection and try them out.
I would advise strongly going for the "Warm White" option. The cool white is very hard on your eyes.

sgr143

Visit site
Many UK suppliers bulk buy from China and sell on... However as suggested buy a small selection and try them out.
I would advise strongly going for the "Warm White" option. The cool white is very hard on your eyes.

Just so. I've had to replace several of my "first go "LED saloon and cabin lights as they were just too harsh. I've gone for cool white LED striplights over the galley and chart-table, though.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
If you can find out the 'Lumen' output of the halogen, then get LED's with the same Lumen rating or higher. Try some from say Screwfix or Toolstation? - other suppliers are available... I've bought LED's from ebay and as said, quality is variable. All our home MR11 lamps are now from Screwfix I think but just checked and they don't seem to list them anymore. Toolstation still list them though. All home GU10 lamps are now Philips branded.
The ones you mention look ok to me, try them but as said, warm white. You'll certainly reduce your power consumption.

BelleSerene

Visit site
Probably (they claim 27W equivalence) and cheap enough to find out. Go for the Warm White option or they’ll look horrible.

Elessar

Visit site
Just so. I've had to replace several of my "first go "LED saloon and cabin lights as they were just too harsh. I've gone for cool white LED striplights over the galley and chart-table, though.

+1 to all those who said get samples and +1 to cool white in the heads, galley and for me, on deck.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We had halogen bulbs in the kitchen and utility room one or more would break every month and I paid to have them replaced. Then I had LED light s installed they are just as bright as Halogen lights and none have broken since they were installed 18 months ago.

andsarkit

Visit site
Don't forget to also compare the beam angle. Some have a very small spotlight which might not be good if you want more general lighting. At home I find a 60deg beam avoids dark and light patches.
I agree that the best way is to buy a selection as the descriptions are not always accurate.

Dockhead

Visit site
I've replaced all the halogens on my boat with LED's at least once, and in some cases three or four times, trying to get it just right, over 10 years. I guess I've tried just about every LED module and fixture available.

My original fixtures were Cantalupi G4's, dozens of them. Horrible carp made of thin brass sheet which tended to crack and even shatter. I cut myself a few times on them.

First generation of upgrade was to replace the G4 halogen bulbs with G4-size LED modules. 10 years ago, what you could buy put out a sickly greenish light which was not too attractive. Then reddish, as the makers tried to make it look more like incandescent.

Eventually I tossed most of the Cantalupi fixtures and replaced with MR16 ones. MR16 fixtures are exceedingly simple and eventually I found some on EBay for £1 each and bought a case of them -- excellent quality and nice looking, brushed chrome finish.

I went through several types of MR16 bulb units, but eventually settled on these:

https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/product/mr16-15-led/

Which give the most delightful light, indistinguishable from incandescent, and have glass covers over them.

I am now totally satisfied, and 7 of these consumes as much power as 1 of the old halogen units.

pagoda

Visit site
One more thing to consider is exposing the lamps to 13 or 14v during charging or engine operation. I fitted a 12v DC stabiliser on the lighting circuit only. It guarantees accurate 12v for a 10 to 40v input. It appears rock steady and the lamps have been fine. Some lamps have built in over voltage protection. Many don't.

Dockhead

Visit site
10 watt halogen will normally give about 120 lumens of light.

You'll get about the same from a 1.3 watt LED bulb like this one:

https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/product/mr11-8-led/

Rather than domestic units with cobbled-together stabilsers, why wouldn't you go with a proper marine one, which has the buck converter and even a fuse built in? The Bedazzled one costs only £6. You can get similar ones from Boat Lamps etc.

gregcope

Visit site
One more thing to consider is exposing the lamps to 13 or 14v during charging or engine operation. I fitted a 12v DC stabiliser on the lighting circuit only. It guarantees accurate 12v for a 10 to 40v input. It appears rock steady and the lamps have been fine. Some lamps have built in over voltage protection. Many don't.

Can you give details/links/part numbers?