Half Way Marker ...

cngarrod

Visit site
Spent the weekend scraping and painting... First coats of anti foul applied to hull and stern drive, actually quite enjoyed it... almost relaxing, no kids, to TV's no music that no one can understand - would have been better if been on the water no doubt, but needs must!

As i am going to anti fould the trim tabs, should i use the Hull a/f or the stern drive a/f - sorry for a silly question, but i'm thick!

Cheers,

Craig.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Not a silly question...a good one.
The spec for International Trilux which is what I use on my Volvo stern drive is "...suitable for all substrates including aluminium" so I assume that it's ok for SS trim tabs.
Don't forget to leave a 1 inch gap between the stern drive antifoul and the hull antifoul. (sorry if you knew this already)
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

cngarrod

Visit site
Thanks David, appreciate that - i did read the trilux tin and assumed it would be ok to use on them... but then i remember seeing loads of other boats that had the hull a/f on the trim tabs...

Maybe it makes no odds!

There was already a one inch gap between the hull and stern drive with no paint on it... so i left it as was...

But why is there a gap???

Cheers,

C

<hr width=100% size=1>

cngarrod

Visit site
Re: That\'s the right answer nm

Hi Kim,

thinking about this - i hope i have't dropped a clanger...

I have painted the trim tabs with the outdrive paint but of course this means that it is closer than 1 inch to the hull antifoul...

Will this cause the anodes to corrode quicker or will my tabs fall off in no time???

Cheers,

Craig.

<hr width=100% size=1>

eddieperkins

Visit site
Re: That\'s the right answer nm

Craig,
The antifouling used on the hull has copper in it. Copper and Aluminium do not mix and the end result is corrosion on your outdrives. The one inch gap is to seperate the outdrives from the effect of the copper in the antifoul. I would paint this gap with the trilux, it helps prevent the build up of fouling and looks real cool. There is not the same problem with the trim tabs as being stainless the copper does not have the same effect. They can be painted in the hull antifouling if you want.
Hope this helps clarify this for you.
Regards,
Eddie

<hr width=100% size=1>