Gutter journalism

• Thread starter Deleted User YDKXO
  • Start date
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Sirs
I see that the infamous tabloid hack, John Matthews, is once again soiling the pages of your esteemed publication, MBY. Whatever they're paying him, it's too much and I'm cancelling my subscription in protest forthwith
Yours
Disgusted of Pinner

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Thanks pal, my shop didn't have an MBM and I had to buy a MBY instead. No I shall be wondering whatever has made you throw all the toys out of your pram.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Dear Sir,

I have a clapped out old wreck which I rescued from the local tip, still full of used nappies and fast food cartons. I read that your new journo Mr Matthews is happy for this type of craft to be parked in his drive, can you please publish his address so I know where to deliver my cherished restoration project,

Regards,

New owner of Sinking Feeling.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TomIsitt

N/A
Visit site
If you think that's bad, you should see what he did to my chair...damn thing's falling to pieces (he used crappy self-tappers and installed the seat-base back-to-front)

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I've just read John Matthews column, I realy wish I hadn't. What public demand is he responding to. Is this a sample of the experience that he is going to share with us for the next 'n' months.
I will read next months, if there is nothing more entertaining I'm switching mags, I'm struggling with the identity of MB&Y.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
I read the first few paragraphs and got bored, so skipped the rest.

I noticed a sop to the canal boaters in the super picture of the Falkirk Wheel, and what was all but an apology for the rubbish about canals last month.

Like the section by Robert Avis.

Wondered if the Foreward and the 2 boat reports, with far from favourable comments included, had anything to do with recent comments on this forum about a lack of criticism in the boat reports? Nice one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Again, I have no complaints really especially as the new 34 Open is featured ;-)

Agree Bernard Matthews colum was a bit well what was that all about, prob ok in Hello mag but MBY, lets hope it gets down to baoting next time.

In general I give MBY a bigger thumbs up than MBM especilly of late. Good article in the back mixing Stinky and Raggie Racers and plenty of stuff reviewed.

Usually I have thumbed through MBY and then thrown it in a corner but I actually find myself reading it now.

Will be interested to read Alan Harpers material now that pressure of Ed is off him and he can get back to his roots.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

BrendanS

Visit site
I've just read John Matthews column, I realy wish I hadn't. What public demand is he responding to.

The role of a 'columnist' is usually to provide relevant or witty commentary around the subject matter. It doesn't have to be overtly boaty, just chatty.

Having read it, that's exactly what he's provided. It's also normal for a columnist in his/hers first article to provide some background, and credentials, so setting the scenes for future articles. It's a well known and well read part of amost every magazine.

I happen to love the 'weasel' in the Sat Independent, and have the paper delivered almost purely for that, I just chuck the rest of the paper out. Editors love that sort of thing, it sells mags and papers.

You might not like it, but if significant numbers get hooked, a little like soaps, then both the columnist and the editor have done their job.

G

That wasn't an article, it was a meta-article. Hopefully we'll get a real one next month. Coincidentally, I re-read Tom's last column while sat on the bog last night, and found it to bery very well written, insightful and entertaining.

I think we should give tcm the benefit of the doubt on this first one, as he was probably nervous. But so far, Tom's in the lead...

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Presumably, tcm=That Chap Matthews

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The evolution is strange but has a certain perverse logic........
Originally 'matts' he then had a brief skirmish with a religious persona if I remember rightly , then became 'taxcollector' and then 'tcm'. I think tcm is an amalgam of t(ax)c(ollector)m(atts) but...........someone may know different ?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb, Photo Gallery, Chat Room</A>

jfm

Visit site
Yup B1.

kwite correct I believe. Matthew=tax collector, see? Whereas the others were fisherman or shepherds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Yup B1.

Oh, so he's a lot older than he looks, then...

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
John Matthews.

If you take the Matthews and take the S of the end then you Have Matthew S
S is for Steadman and the John might be his middle name.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
John Mathews = tcm I didn\'t know that

I would have been much kinder had I known that John Mathews and tcm were one and the same. I find tcm's comments here, very detailed, constructive and always entertaining.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>