Greenpeace

SloopJohnB

Visit site
Greenpeace has stepped up its activities against a possible war in Iraq by blocking a major UK military port.
The pressure group's flagship Rainbow Warrior dropped anchor at Marchwood, Southampton, blocking the entrance to the military supply port at about 0900 GMT Monday.

Four rigid inflatable boats were launched from Rainbow Warrior and two protesters climbed on board a military supply ship - one was arrested and one remains strapped to the ship's mast.

"No war" slogans were also painted on the side of the ship.

Report from BBC

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
See my earlier post about how much longer we will be allowed to sail in Southampton Water.

If Rainbow Warrior (which is pretty well known as a 'radical' vessel) can do that, think what a ski boat packed with explosives could manage.

Incidentally, I passed at least a couple of military convoys heading for Southampton area on the M3 yesterday, but several khaki vehicles also seemed to be conked out on the hard shoulder. Maybe Bush just needs British Army vehicles out there, so US pilots can get in target practise?

At about the same time, Win fm's news reports had an interview with the local MP (or MEP?) who said that UK troops are known to the Americans as the 'borrowers', because our own kit is so tragic.

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
>At about the same time, Win fm's news reports had an interview with the local MP (or MEP?) who said that UK troops are known to the Americans as the 'borrowers', because our own kit is so tragic.

Of course, if we kept permanent stockpiles of kit for every theatre in the world, we all be moaning on the size of the governments defence spending.

Bergman

Visit site
Last year the MOD saved a few million pounds by not fitting desert filters to the Challenger tanks they sent to middle east on exercise. Don't think they commented on cost of new engines when they almost all broke down due to being clogged up with sand.

I think it is a complete and absolute disgrace sending troops into a situation where they could be killed because of lack of the correct equipment.

Boots that melt in the heat

Rifles that jam in dusty conditions

The British Army is now down to around 120,000 men, the cost of this operation could equip all of them with every bit of gear that anyone could imaging, and a Saville Row suit to come home in.

Blood simmering nicely.

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I quite agree. If we're going to have armed forces (and we've arguably got the best trained in the world) we should at least equip them properly.

It just amuses me when watching the news that the people criticising the lack of equipment are the same people who a year or two ago were most vocal in claiming that defence spending was a waste of tax payers money.

Some people will say anything to get their face on the TV.

tr7v8

Visit site
I have no issue with the spending, I do however have a major issue with spending a fortune on the crap we are. EG. SA80 rifle can't be fired by someone whose left handed etc. Brother is ex-brown-job (and is left handed!) so I know what goes on.
Mind you on his last manouvers in Germany with all te NATO troops, it's the USA troops who had the most injuries and deaths and that's just on exercise!

Jim
--------

MADFISH

Visit site
I live about a mile upriver of the military port and was popping down to the local hard to check out the Greenpeace ship but a hoard of cops and important people were dominating the place scratching their heads and wondering what to do about it. I decided to turn on my heels and leave!

Viking

Visit site
It reminds me of the last 'unpleasantness' when on the news it was reported that our troops where attacked (the presonnel carriers) by 'friendly fire' with the loose of life. The very next item on the news, was a report from onboard one of the US carriers with pilots all 'high fiving' saying that they had just come back from a 'Turkey shoot' I dont think the two events where the same. But I remember it did give me very bad feeling.
I believe that reports are that alot of our troops are out buying the own equipment.

ccscott49

Visit site
Thats nothing new, we used to have to buy our own desert type boots and other kit, when I was in the army, we were still issued, 1939 pattern webbing, so we used to buy, from the army surplus stalls at the market?? 1953 pattern webbing, also our own parkas from the same place, the army didn't have enough to issue, but they were available surplus? That was in 1969. We also used to buy american boots in Gernmany, from their PX (NAAFI) as they were far superior to ours, as for the SA80, I'd still prefer an SLR, or a Heckler and koch. Even an Armalite or AK47.