Greek/Turkish Camping Gas

dart

Visit site
Arrived Greece and find Camping Gas is nasty dark blue color with greek writing. Is this acceptable in Turkey, Italy etc. Heard Turkey is the same. Can anyone shed light on this mess?! (Nothing in the Pilot books ...)

<hr width=100% size=1>

anderson

Visit site
we used greek bottles in turkey 3 years ago,no probleb with exchange,dont know about italy,what about croatia,going there this year?.,

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Well, if they're the same as the Slovenian ones they're Camping Gaz style but painted orange.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

Bayfly

Visit site
'Blue' gas is available in Turkey, but only in the Med. coast stretch. As you go into the Agean parts, 'silver' gas becomes the norm. However, a conversion kit is available', & not expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dart

Visit site
Currently in Patras Greece where I was able to obtain 2 light blue gas cylinders so it seems you can get camping gas (not Greek gas in some places)

<hr width=100% size=1>

rrees

www.cruisinglogs.org.uk
got obsessed with this last year when going between greece sically sardinia spain and france
All have slightly difference bottle colour / writting but if you shop around you will find the little light blue buggers normally from liveaboards exchanging

Became part of our amusement trying to track them down what sad cases

Any way good luck

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

dart

Visit site
Good answer! We managed to get blue gas in Patras and Kusadasi which got us back out to civilization (malta).

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
The Greek 'Quasi Camping Gaz' bottles are identical in size, shape and volume to Camping Gaz bottles but, in addition to being painted dark blue, they have the Greek Company's logo embossed into the top of the cylinder wall. For this reason they will not be accepted in Italy or places West in exchange for genuine Camping Gaz. The gas suppliers in Corfu know all about this problem so the answer is to make certain that your final exchange before heading back west is to genuine Camping Gaz bottles. Stick to your guns and try several suppliers if necessary - you will be able to find them.

Neither Croatia or Turkey are officially part of the Camping Gaz setup. Bottles of any sort can be refilled in Croatia so it matters not whether they are genuine Camping Gaz or Greek Quasi Camping Gaz. Much the same applies in the main sailing centres of Turkey but I recommend you buy a couple of 2kg local gas bottles (Ipragas or Aygas) as these are ludicrously cheap. You can but a full bottle (including the deposit) for 9,000,000 TL (about £3.50) and refills for 5,000,000TL or less (about £2) They come with two types of fitting on top of the bottle, one of which is the same as Camping Gaz. Make sure you get the right one. They fit into the same space as Camping Gaz bottles, though their capacity is a little lower.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtretreat.com>http://www.yachtretreat.com</A>

charles_reed

Visit site
The great Camping Gaz

rip-off.

As soon as I arrived in France, 4 years ago, I ditched my calor bottles and did some comparisons of prices of alternative LPG sources. I found Camping Gaz between 100 and 250% more expensive than local alternatives, so changed to the Butagaz Cube, which weighs less than the Calor 4.5kg bottle, when full, and contains 50% more LPG. It was half the price of a 2.9kg Camping Gaz refill and the container cost €18.
The 6kg Cube lasts between 6 and 12 weeks (depending on the number of hot showers I take) - I found it available in Portugal (but not Spain), it doesn't produce rust marks (being of glass-reinforced polypropylene).
The gas system has 2 feeds - the 2nd goes to the local supplier of choice, by coincidence a Camping gaz cylinder, because that was the most convenient (and closer to market prices) in Spain.

An extremely competent nederlander, whom I met up the Guadiana, went one better - he had a kit, which meant when his bottles were empty he went along to the local LPG pump (for road vehicles) and filled his bottles at about 20% of the price of the cheapest alternatives.

So, as David suggests, adopt the local LPG supplier for each country you go to and don't get "done" by Camping Gaz.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dart

Visit site
Excellent reply, if a little late, we are now back in the UK! It hadn't occured to me that the Turkish bottles would be so cheap. In the end we managed to get blue bottles in enough places although the ones we have now do look a little dodgy ...

<hr width=100% size=1>Marine weather maps by mobile: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zipget.com>ZipGet</A>