Greek residency

rjcoles

Visit site
I have been trawling the web trying to find out what is required for Greek Residency before the end of the transition period. The general requirements of passport and photos are no problem but no joy on the following;
Application form were do you get it?
Which police office? The address will be the Ionian Marine accross the water from Preveza
What funds are required for a retired couple and what proof is required?
Suggestions for health insurance for next year?

We are going out to the boat in September to prepare her for next season and want get get the temporary residency whilst there.

Laser310

Visit site
I'm sure the advice to use an agent is very good.

but, if anyone has any information about the requirements, I would be interested in seeing it posted here...

Garold

Visit site
I'm sure the advice to use an agent is very good.

but, if anyone has any information about the requirements, I would be interested in seeing it posted here...

We did it last year at the police station in Vliho. We were berthed in Nidri at the time.

We needed to show £4k in a bank account to show that we had enough money to live in Greece without support for six months. Unfortunately we don’t have a joint account so we had to show a bank account for each of us with £4k in each. We were not expecting this and achieved it by transferring the money on line from my wife to me and then showing it on my phone with the bank’s app, and then emailing the police man a screenshot. This was all done in the police station with guidance from them. They were very helpful in spite of the fact that we didnt realise that we were supposed to make an appointment.

I will try to find the form.

Davy_S

Visit site
It is a few years ago since we got residency, we did it at Sami police station Kefalonia, we owned a property, we took passports, tax No etc, plus bank statement, it was no problem at all, however, at the time i think they wanted proof of £15,000 in the bank.
We had friends do the same after us, £19,000 was the amount they were told, anyway, there was a challenge that someone had brought to the authorities, it said that Greece could not ask for more money than a Greek pensioner would get, or it went against EU rules, so i don't really know what proof they can ask for now.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Thanks, I downloaded the form and will probably turn it into an editable PDF form in case that is useful to others later.

I remember discussing this with Gerry & Mandy on Earl Grey last year and they had used the same small police station. We might have spoken.

I meant to do this last year but decided that there was plenty of time this year before launching. I hadn't counted on a pandemic appearing. It may still be possible to visit our boat in the Ionian yard before the end of this year. I'll get everything prepared in advance if a trip to Greece seems likely.

nickf

Visit site
I obtained mine using the attached documents. I obtained mine at Vliho Police Station who were very helpful but different police stations seem to have a different attitude. It needs to be the local police Not port police.
It took me less than an hour in the morning returning to collect the permit in the afternoon.
I had filled in the attached form but the officer stated it was the wrong form and proceeded to fill in an on line form from the details provided.
I took two passport photos, UK bank statement showing I had a balance of over £4000, a receipt from boat yard for residency address (not examined) and an EHIC. and passport.
Vliho were obviously very used to dealing with expats and familiar with the process. Not sure how helpful Preveza police will be. May be worth trying doing it yourself and then using an agent if you hit problems. I was not charged anything.

Attachments

• Application for Residence permit 110form.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Registration_certificate_-_Permanent_Residence_Certificate_requirements_updated_161212.pdf
    260.4 KB · Views: 29

keef9t

Visit site
Interesting stuff.
What would be the advantage in obtaining this residency, prior to the end of the year, when things are likely to change for us Brits.
I'm your typical ' boat kept in Greece, use it 3 or 4 months of the year'

nickf

Visit site
Interesting stuff.
What would be the advantage in obtaining this residency, prior to the end of the year, when things are likely to change for us Brits.
I'm your typical ' boat kept in Greece, use it 3 or 4 months of the year'
The issue is that come the end of the year (assuming the transition period is not extended) you will only be able to stay in any Shengen country (including Greece)for 90 days in any 180 rolling days.
During the transition period UK citizens are able to obtain a residence (beige) card fairly easily. After the end of this period it will be much more difficult. Once you have this permit the Greek Govenment have indicated that it can be automatically converted to the new biometric permit due to be introduced next year. If you don't have one you will be limited to 90 days in any rolling 180 days.
There are two cards available. The above relates to the beige card which confers rights to stay in Greece beyond the 90 day limit and is a pre requisite to getting the blue 'residence' permit after 5 years. Both cards are due to be replaced by biometric cards in 2021.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
keef9t,

Welcome to the YBW Forum.

EU Travel post Brexit

A quick read of this could provide bit of background and a short cut to point you in the right direction.

Although the original question came from Portugal, note the response from Brussels (The Europe Direct Contact Centre) so it is a reasonable assumption that with regards to movement in The EU and Schengen, Brits in across the EU will be treated in the same way.

How Greece will deal with this is could be different.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
It's typically the tourist police office that you have to go to, I've no idea where that is in Preveza. Any police office should be able to tell you where to go.

My best advice is to find who you have to see and get the form from them, they will also tell you what you need, that way you'll have no problems.

Basically the process is as @nickf described.

At the end of this year Greece is supposed to be exchanging the buff registration cards and the blue permanent residence cards (which you get after being here for 5 years) for the new biometric residence cards (which I expect we will have to pay for). The odds are that they won't meet this deadline.

If you are receiving a UK state pension then apply for an S1 form and swap your heathcare for EFKA (Greek healthcare). You need to be already registered to do that.

You MUST register and complete the S1 form process before the end of this year. From 1st Jan 2021 the UK will become a third country and the residence and healthcare provisions are very different (and way more expensive) for third country than for EU citizens.

rjcoles

Visit site
As we plan to spend 6 months in Greece and 6 months UK does having a Greek S1form stop us having access to the NHS when back home?

Tony Cross

Visit site
As we plan to spend 6 months in Greece and 6 months UK does having a Greek S1form stop us having access to the NHS when back home?
The accompanying documentation says:

The NHS is a residence based system and moving abroad can mean losing your entitlement to receive healthcare free of charge under the NHS.

However, as you will have your healthcare paid for by the UK via an S1 form in your country of residence, from 6th APril 2015 your right to return to England for all treatment, including elective, has been extended.

This means you can access treatment in England as if ordinarily resident, (this means treatment will be free unless a statutory charge also applies to residents in England, for example prescription charges). You will not need to obtain any kind of authorisation from Greece prior to seeking treatment.

Tony Cross

Visit site
does one have to have lived in greece for some fixed time prior to application?
For registration or an S1?

You don't need to register until you exceed 90 days but you can register at any time.

AFAIK there is no minimum time before you apply for an S1 form, the DWP will ask you for the date you left the UK. You need to be registered to use the S1 form in Greece.