Greek Port Fees- 3rd Party Managed?

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
Hi Guys
I understand that Greek harbours are either managed by the municipality, in which case there is a fixed formula for calculating mooring fees; or the municipality has leased the management to a third party who calls the port a marina and charges what they like!
I don't have a problem with the former arrangement but am concerned about the latter.

In the Saronic and Argolic gulfs (excepting Athens marinas) are there any 3rd party managed harbours to avoid because of exorbitant charges, and what are they charging?

Cheers!
Pete

macd

Visit site
I understand that Greek harbours are either managed by the municipality, in which case there is a fixed formula for calculating mooring fees; or the municipality has leased the management to a third party who calls the port a marina and charges what they like!...

...or the duty has been retained by the port police, at the usual cheap rates, which applies in a few places (Plomarion, for example).

Can't help you with specifics elsewhere, Pete, but the usual caveat applies: no receipt, no payment. And any receipt should not be something bought from the local newsagent, but should bear provenance, tax and VAT numbers, etc.

A comprehensive list, such as you seek, would be helpful, although the CA's Greek harbour pages fill in many of the gaps.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hi Guys
I understand that Greek harbours are either managed by the municipality, in which case there is a fixed formula for calculating mooring fees; or the municipality has leased the management to a third party who calls the port a marina and charges what they like!
I don't have a problem with the former arrangement but am concerned about the latter.

In the Saronic and Argolic gulfs (excepting Athens marinas) are there any 3rd party managed harbours to avoid because of exorbitant charges, and what are they charging?

Cheers!
Pete

I can't help with a list but your analysis is correct, ports are now either managed by the municipality or they have leased the management to a third party. There are fixed fees in the former case but the third party can charge what they like in the latter case. Note that in some ports the municipality has elected to use the port police as their collection agent, in most places though they will employ a person to 'manage' the port.

The only way to 'protect' yourself is to ask the cost of a single nights stay at the time that you berth and if you don't like the answer then leave.

Note also that the idea behind leasing the port to a third party is that they will improve the facilities, installing lazy lines, water and electricity, etc. but AFAIK they are under no obligation to do any of that.

I think that whether or not the port is leased is a judgement call on the part of the municipality. If they think they can generate sufficient income after having employed someone to 'manage' the port then they will likely go down that route, but if a third party offers them enough of a financial incentive to lease the port that they think that's a better deal then that's what they'll do.

Last edited: