Greece not recognising VAT paid status?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Posted on Cruiser's Forum today. UK / EU VAT paid no longer valid - Cruisers & Sailing Forums (cruisersforum.com)

Hi Forumions

I was getting a boat surveyed today in Greece. The surveyor told me that Greece had just changed its VAT paid rules.

In his words (as he has a boat in Greece in this situation).

"If the VAT was paid in the UK, then the VAT paid on the EU is no longer valid. "

I asked: But not even if it was a year when the UK was in the EU?

Reply: No, the VAT receipt must show that the VAT paid at the time of purchase of the boat went to a country that is in the EU at this moment. So, if the boat was purchased by a company or person, and the VAT paid went to the UK, even in the years that the UK was in the EU, Greece will not recognize the VAT as paid.

This news (he said) was released last week. His personal boat was in this situation (purchased in the UK three years ago), and he had everything confirmed with lawyers.
So to summarise his situation, the boat was in Greece on the 31st of December, so his boat is not VAT paid in either the UK or Greece.
peace.gif

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Posted on Cruiser's Forum today. UK / EU VAT paid no longer valid - Cruisers & Sailing Forums (cruisersforum.com)

Hi Forumions

I was getting a boat surveyed today in Greece. The surveyor told me that Greece had just changed its VAT paid rules.

In his words (as he has a boat in Greece in this situation).

"If the VAT was paid in the UK, then the VAT paid on the EU is no longer valid. "

I asked: But not even if it was a year when the UK was in the EU?

Reply: No, the VAT receipt must show that the VAT paid at the time of purchase of the boat went to a country that is in the EU at this moment. So, if the boat was purchased by a company or person, and the VAT paid went to the UK, even in the years that the UK was in the EU, Greece will not recognize the VAT as paid.

This news (he said) was released last week. His personal boat was in this situation (purchased in the UK three years ago), and he had everything confirmed with lawyers.
So to summarise his situation, the boat was in Greece on the 31st of December, so his boat is not VAT paid in either the UK or Greece.
peace.gif
Graham. This is true in that the instructions issued by Greece are complete bollocks.

As we could get no sense out of the AADE, we have filed a complaint with the EU Commission, as thir reaction to that instruction was... "we suggest you star a formal complaint through the EU system.

The problem in Greece is that the AADE is an independent entity beyond political interference. They are hardened to every one doing what they are told and refusing any external pressure for change. The end result is an organisation that cannot adapt to new ways. This was impressed upon us yesterday when we got our case presented to the shipping minister and finance minister. They were sympathetic and would raise it, but they stressed they have no power to enforce a change.

I am very optimistic of getting it fully corrected. Its not the first time.