Greece lifting lockdown from may 4th?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If this is any help , it wasn't posted else where , email from porous boat yard .

Email today from my boatyard in Poros:
Dear Friends

We want to inform you about corona virus in Greece . As Prime minister told us last day from Monday 4 of May will pen only few stores . The traffic will be very limited and only to go in our jobs . Will be valid until 18 of May . Travel to the islands and from one city to another has prohibited . All the boats remain to the harbors . All these rules will apply until end of May . All hotels will be closed until end of June . As we hear maybe all the boats remain in the harbors until end of June . We will inform you when we have more news about the boats .

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
If this is any help , it wasn't posted else where , email from porous boat yard .

Email today from my boatyard in Poros:
Dear Friends

We want to inform you about corona virus in Greece . As Prime minister told us last day from Monday 4 of May will pen only few stores . The traffic will be very limited and only to go in our jobs . Will be valid until 18 of May . Travel to the islands and from one city to another has prohibited . All the boats remain to the harbors . All these rules will apply until end of May . All hotels will be closed until end of June . As we hear maybe all the boats remain in the harbors until end of June . We will inform you when we have more news about the boats .

Thanks Vic. I already had details of the roadmap from a friend in Greece and it was good to see a detailed route forward. It did sound as if he might be able to launch and get some sailing from mid-July onwards if all goes well.

We aren't expecting it to have any impact on our sailing this year. I really doubt travel from UK to Greece will be very easy for us around July/August. Even August/September is probably out. We wouldn't be very happy to travel from Scotland to London and then Greece (or direct but a long trip across Greece from Athens airport).

OK for anyone already in Greece but risk of catching something en-route will be high and also probably need quarantine period for UK people initially. Good to see signs of progress though.

I also noticed that you get a 150 euro fine for not wearing a mask in places where it is required. At least that might put Mike Pence off any travel to Greece. :D

MapisM

Visit site
I understand the wish/opportunity to make plans that extend further ahead of the very short term, but if I were involved in any manner, like for booking travels or whatever, I would take them with more than a pinch of salt.

I mean, let's just look at what happened so far: essentially, all governments looked at what happened till NOW, and on that basis decided what to do tomorrow. So far, all the rest of what we have seen have been either rumours or wishful thinking.

Trouble is, anything worth being called a solid plan could only materialize based on a reliable course of action, identified in advance, for tackling new outbreaks - more when rather than if they will pop up.
BUT, I'm not aware of anyone who identified such reliable course of action.
Aside from being ready for new lockdowns if, when and as soon as necessary.
Which are just patches, obviously. I.e., exactly the opposite of a plan, so to speak.

Tony Cross

Visit site
The resumption of international travel to Greece is (AFAIK) not yet cast in stone. They are talking about ensuring that all international visitors carry some proof that they are not infected, but of course nobody yet quite knows what form that will take. They're saying that the lockdown will be relaxed in 7 stages, broadly two weeks apart and with a review every 24 hours, so it could all come back of course if things go pear-shaped again. In the current climate, July is a long long way away and a lot could happen between now and then so I wouldn't make any firm plans just yet. :)

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The resumption of international travel to Greece is (AFAIK) not yet cast in stone. They are talking about ensuring that all international visitors carry some proof that they are not infected, but of course nobody yet quite knows what form that will take. They're saying that the lockdown will be relaxed in 7 stages, broadly two weeks apart and with a review every 24 hours, so it could all come back of course if things go pear-shaped again. In the current climate, July is a long long way away and a lot could happen between now and then so I wouldn't make any firm plans just yet. :)

Yes, I seem to remember reading something about a "tourist health passport". I couldn't see UK sorting out something like that or putting anything in place to make a Greek version work for many months (if ever). Hence my assumption that the Greek plans wouldn't really affect us. I had already assumed it would be a bonus to be sailing next summer. Some sort of quick visit might be possible to check my boat in autumn or winter but I'm certainly not booking anything.

It does look more promising for anyone stuck on their boat in Greece and I think that they should get some sailing this summer. They are already living on a boat in Greece and the only difference will be a bit more freedom of movement within Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks Vic. I already had details of the roadmap from a friend in Greece and it was good to see a detailed route forward. It did sound as if he might be able to launch and get some sailing from mid-July onwards if all goes well.

We aren't expecting it to have any impact on our sailing this year. I really doubt travel from UK to Greece will be very easy for us around July/August. Even August/September is probably out. We wouldn't be very happy to travel from Scotland to London and then Greece (or direct but a long trip across Greece from Athens airport).

OK for anyone already in Greece but risk of catching something en-route will be high and also probably need quarantine period for UK people initially. Good to see signs of progress though.

I also noticed that you get a 150 euro fine for not wearing a mask in places where it is required. At least that might put Mike Pence off any travel to Greece. :D
We did think at one time if Greece was open we would leave Italy and sail straight there return back to Sicily for the winter , but if things go pear shape we could end up stuck there , despair times and all that .
we now come to the conclusion we may be best just to sailing in Italy if it ever opened up. :) our hope is the next review after mondays one 17th May , for good behaviour we get let out .

Tony Cross

Visit site
This is just my gut feel and it's not based on any real information, but I think it would be wise this year for people to sail within the country they are in at the moment and to winter in that same country. I suspect that arriving at another port or marina in a country you've been in all winter will be easier than arriving in a different country and risking being turned away or quarantined for ever and ever. It might then be similarly difficult to return to their country of origin too...?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We did think at one time if Greece was open we would leave Italy and sail straight there return back to Sicily for the winter , but if things go pear shape we could end up stuck there , despair times and all that .
we now come to the conclusion we may be best just to sailing in Italy if it ever opened up. :) our hope is the next review after mondays one 17th May , for good behaviour we get let out .
Yea I think you right Tony

nortada

Visit site

Vic, Have you thought of moving even further west at the end of the summer❓

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic, Have you thought of moving even further west at the end of the summer❓
That's was our plain a couple of months ago then all this crap turned up, our thinking now is because we have no idea when this may end , plus there no guarantee that it won't all flair up again ,
we decided if we can sail in Sicily/Italy /Sardinia this year that will do.
But knowing how we change our plan at any moment , watch this space .

t21

Visit site
Sheesh this is all a bit rubbish innit! I mean yeah ok save lives but life as a mushroom is not what most want. And at least mushrooms get to mingle with others. I may be able to improve on the mushroom allegory sometime.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sheesh this is all a bit rubbish innit! I mean yeah ok save lives but life as a mushroom is not what most want. And at least mushrooms get to mingle with others. I may be able to improve on the mushroom allegory sometime.
Maybe you had Too many mushroom ! Might be best to come off them for a while .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Interestingly the Jeremy Vine programme on BBC radio is currently talking to people about their feelings about UK lockdown. I am guessing that most of those phoning are not confined to 10th storey flats in cities but a surprisingly high proportion are saying they are enjoying it, lower stress levels, sleeping better, no commuting, watching wildlife. etc. Many are saying that they will not go back to their previous lives.