Grayl GeoPress or other water purifying bottle

HERMES_M

Visit site
Does someone use a water purifier bottle on the boat? Does it work well?

We buy lots of bottled water before going to sail, but we are thinking about environment friendly alternatives. If we quit buying bottled water, we won’t have any problem with storage as well.

wonkywinch

Visit site
The Grayl GeoPress looks an expensive way to filter water for a crew. £215 for the plastic bottle then £30 per 250 litres of water = 12p/litre vs the Grohe (or other make of filter tap) at around £300 for the tap/first filter then £60 per filter for 3,000 litres life = 2p/litre.

lustyd

Visit site
I have one and strongly recommend against it. It’s good in theory but in practice it’s impossible to avoid cross contamination. As mentioned it obviously doesn’t do seawater, but it also doesn’t do chlorinated water (aka tap!) since that damages the membrane.
For filtering tank water a simple carbon filter will remove any taste issues, and the tank can be treated to remove nasties.

wonkywinch

Visit site
For filtering tank water a simple carbon filter will remove any taste issues, and the tank can be treated to remove nasties.
I spoke to the filter people prior to buying mine twin filter/filler set up. The carbon filter is OK on the tap out but don't filter your stored water on the way in this way as the carbon will remove the chlorine which is essential to keep the stored water from growing nasties.

HERMES_M

Visit site
@wonkywinch
@AntarcticPilot
@lustyd
Thank you very much!

I want to filter tank water. The water is good enough for tea, coffee and cooking, but if I drink it, it smells a little bit like rubber/plastic. I think, this is because of the hose installed about a year ago.

I don't think it is good Idea to buy Grayl GeoPress now (Thanks @lustyd ). I hope I’d find a leak proof water bottle with carbon filter. The Grohe system seems fancy, but the first investment would be really high for my purpose. I should discuss with my hubby first :)

lustyd

Visit site
For completeness, systems like Grayl don't remove flavours and smells, they just purify. Life straw type systems are the same and you can taste the dirt in the cleaned water if drinking from a mountain stream partly because many smells are molecules or atoms which don't get filtered.

I just bought one of these to fit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SX3LFS9 which is a carbon filter and those smell molecules bond with the carbon and get removed. Brita type stuff works the same.

HERMES_M

Visit site
For completeness, systems like Grayl don't remove flavours and smells, they just purify. Life straw type systems are the same and you can taste the dirt in the cleaned water if drinking from a mountain stream partly because many smells are molecules or atoms which don't get filtered.

I just bought one of these to fit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SX3LFS9 which is a carbon filter and those smell molecules bond with the carbon and get removed. Brita type stuff works the same.
Oh I didn’t know this :oops: The bottle is for survival, not for pleasure, right?
I thought the dirty water turns into clear, tasty water in the Grayl bottle.

I ordered simple Nalgene water bottle and Bincho-Charcoal. If it doesn’t work, we’ll try Finerfilters kit system as well. I bookmarked it on Amazon :)

lustyd

Visit site
Yes all about making it safe, it’s just a very small sieve. It doesn’t remove all harmful things, for instance arsenic would get through (same for water makers, don’t use them in the Fal!).
Charcoal sorts the flavour and does remove some of these harmful things but obviously does nothing for bacteria etc.

Trident

Visit site
The best bet is of course a proper filter with its own tap for drinking water only - something like General Ecology with the Seagull filter or the slightly cheaper plastic version. I have one now that was less costly from ASAP with a Doulton ceramic filter that I can pour ebola virus in my tanks and drink the water from the filter. It was around £100 and the ceramic filters about £50 every 2000 litres but as its only for drinking water not washing up or cooking etc thats multiple years on most boats

lustyd

Visit site
The seagull seems to mix the two techniques as it includes a fine filter as well as chemical absorption probably charcoal. It’s a better system although not sure how they’ve solved the chlorine issue killing the filter. Maybe that’s part of why it’s regularly replaced.