Gps rollover

ctva

Visit site
Cheers. Now just need to check the 4 stand alone units I have.

:encouragement:

Barnacle Bill

www.aztecsailing.co.uk
6 April 2019.

Check how to re-boot your GPS receiver, in case the software can't cope.

Last time it happened (August 1999) I heard a yacht crossing the channel from France to UK, with 2 GPS on board one of them brand new, calling to Brixham Coastguard for a radio fix (bearings from 2 CG antennae on the coast).

Last edited:

Topcat47

Visit site
Ouch!, My older gps is pre the last rollover. It certainly has never been soft or firmware updated. I don't know where the handbook is, or my later Garmin for that matter.

Should this thread not be in the PBO forum?

PeteCooper

Visit site
Garmin do updates- available free on their website, as do TomTom.
I had to buy a cable to connect one of mine to the PC but at 96p it didn't break the bank.

Giblets

Visit site
I wonder if my old Garmin 45 will now know the correct time after this rollover? After the last one it always knew where it was, just not when, and took ages to get a fix from cold.

My Garmin GPS 12 handled the last one OK. Running the last but one software update (the latest one only dealt with improved French translations) so hopefully will cope on April 6th.

Topcat47

Visit site
My oldest GPS are Megellan. Customer service non-existent anymore. I'll check with Garmin about my latest. This has been a good wake-up call for me.

Skylark

Visit site
My Garmin GPS 12 handled the last one OK. Running the last but one software update (the latest one only dealt with improved French translations) so hopefully will cope on April 6th.

I have a 1990s GPS 12 and also a GPS 2. I wouldn’t know how to check / update the software! I just turn them on every now and again (often years in between), leave them outside for a while to sort themselves out. Brilliant little things.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I have a 1990s GPS 12 and also a GPS 2. I wouldn’t know how to check / update the software! I just turn them on every now and again (often years in between), leave them outside for a while to sort themselves out. Brilliant little things.

My Garmin GPSII+ was a "brilliant little thing" when I bought it in 1997. But the screen, despite being only grey-scale, is utterly unreadable. I know it still works by connecting it to my PC...

Mike.

Giblets

Visit site

When you turn on the GPS12 the start-up screen shows the installed software version. The software updates are available from here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3477 however you will need the special cable that plus into the back of the GPS and connects to a free serial port (remember them!) on the pooter (or via a USB adapter) https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/574

Skylark

Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I've put batteries in and turned them both on this morning.

The GPS12 has software 4.52. It found lat and long fairly quickly. It shows the correct time but, interestingly, the date is shown as "28 Jul 99"

The GPS2 (still in its original box) took a bit longer to get a fix. Software is 2.07. It also shows the correct time but the date is shown as "13 Mar 19"

They both have the same socket so I'd only need one cable.

Given that they both work, what's to be gained by upgrading the software?

Is it best to adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach?

Skylark

Visit site
Yes, just fired them up again.

Lat and long is same to first decimal minute. The GPS12 shows lat .615, the GPS2 shows .623. Long is .524 and .518 respectively.

Both show same UT to the second.

Only the dates seem to be out and this affects the sun rise/set .

richardbrennan

Visit site
I have made a post on the PBO site regarding a glitch with Garmin software causing problems with the date on plotters. This is not apparently related to the GPS rollover.

prv

Visit site
The GPS12 has software 4.52. It found lat and long fairly quickly. It shows the correct time but, interestingly, the date is shown as "28 Jul 99"

That makes sense. The first rollover was in August 1999. The GPS signal only gives time relative to the rollovers, so the receiver only knows that it is "a few weeks before a rollover". It has to make an assumption about which rollover that is. Newer devices will assume they're a few weeks before April 2019, but older ones whose software was written in the 90s have to assume it's shortly before August 1999, otherwise they'd have shown the wrong date when new.

An update to fix it would make it assume that "the rollover" refers to 2019, not 1999.

Pete