GPS Jamming

BootleBumtrinket

Visit site
At the mouth of the Crouch last year the GPS packed up saying it couldn't spot any satellites, to come back on again shortly later, and I was told this had happened to others, and that it was being jammed to protect the Foulness range.
Is this true? It sounds unlikely to my sceptical eyes.

Viking

Visit site
It could be a problem if anything start happening in the Gulf. I believe during the last unpleasantness, some areas did have problems when the US military needed to have 'control' the system.

kgi

Visit site
the gps can be locally jammed using aircraft carrying electronic warfare "black boxes", you will find it on notices to mariners on navtex as to them switching it off ......unlikely......mind i did hear "europe" is putting its own system up, the russians of course have there own system........keith

dickh

Visit site
Re: GPS Jamming/European GPS system

Europe has plans to put up a GPS system of their own - I think it's called 'Galileo' but everyone is prevaricating about cost etc etc and it might die a natural death... hopefully not - apparently the US satellites are well past their sell buy date...

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

chriscallender

Visit site
Perhaps they could do it as part of an exercise, making sure they are familiar with operating the eqipment etc.

However I agree that sounds unlikely, more likely there were just poor conditions for receiving a GPS signal at that time.