Gota Canal Sweden

ashbyg

Visit site
I am winter berthed in Augustenborg, Denmark and intend next year to go through the Gota Canal west to east and then on to Finland after exploring Sweden's west coast. I partifularly need some information on the canal itself. Any hints for transiting, locks, good anchorages, marinas, costs, rules and regulations, transit time, good places to visit, best charts to buy, places to stock up with a handy supermarket, restaurants, and anything else useful would be appreciated.

ponapay

Visit site
West to east is not ...

as easy as the other way round but having come through this summer its not as bad as it has been written up as.

Check with their web site www.gotakanal.se, they give good instructions.

They do not mention that in the Trollhattan canal that there are staghorns let into the sides of the locks; consequently long ropes are not needed. But the staghorns are too far apart for the average yacht and you will probably need to secure to one of the ladders and a staghorn and then switch as the water level rises to the next one up. The flow in the locks is not as bad as it might be (in the Trollhattan section, even though the locks are 10m deep). In the Gota Kanal the rises can be turbulent, we kept our stern line vertical at the start and hauled taught the bow line using blocks and the genoa winches - it all went very easily. Keep fenders very low, often there is less than 3 inches of wall left when you are at the top.

The canal operates a convoy system outside the popular months of July and August and its costs 25Kr per lock extra! For us the whole transit cost £405 and took 6 days.

It is a lovely trip and once you get to the east life is marvellous in one of the best sailing areas of the world. We have sailed there for 4 years and will go back again next year.

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Have a look at www.gotakanal.se, this site has pages in English with almost all information you need.

Transiting can from Kattegat to Baltic will take a minimum of 5-6 days, but I suggest about 10 days, a more leasury tempo, there is pretty much to see during the trip.

Going Gota Canal across the country means actually going Trollhatte canal as well. Cost for this canal is in approx. 500 SEK. This canal takes you from Gothenburg up to Lake Vanern, from where Gota canal begins.
Shopping can be done in Gothenburg, Swedens second largest city, if you go to the Lilla Bommen marina it´s 5 minutes walk to city centre.
Trollhatte canal has VERY big locks and filling up is through numerous inlets in the bottom of the basin, so there is almost no turbulence in the locks.
Good shopping at Vanersborg, where Lake Vanern begins. The Gota Canal between Vanern and Lake Vattern has no major cities, just a few villages, so better to stock up in Vanersborg.
On east side of Lake Vattern you find Motala which is quite a big city, the entrance to the canal is right in the city centre.
The eastern part of Gota canal, between Vattern and the Baltic sea is much more populated, so shopping is no problem.

I suggest you check out the link above and if you need more information, of the canal, or the Baltic sea, send me an P.M and I´ll be happy to help you. So far I have sailed Gota Canal 6 times.

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
Going W-E means you have to go up the river first and this can be difficult unless you have a high potential boat speed. I dont know what the current speed is likely to be but in late summer my guess was that it was 2-3 kts.
There is a small marina at the intermediate lock on the river (Gota Alv I think) and there are some not very obvious stopping places on the way up - upstream of said lock. The opening bridges on the river do tend to delay opening in a worrying manner but at least on the way up you can stop which is more difficult with the current behind you.
The locks of the Trollhatten are a worry. For us it was too far to reach from bow or stern to get a rope on the next staghorn. You may need to be pretty expert with a boathook. These locks are usually not turbulent.
Lake Vanern is acruising ground in its own right. Be accurate when going thrugh the middle passage as there are many rocks.
The Gota canal is pricey £280 for 9.5 metres in 2000.
You will get good advice on locking through with your canal pass - follow it. The locks operate quickly so make sure the crew works slickly to secure the boat and to get the line tight before the gates shut. Put weights on your fenders so they are partly underwater.
There are lots of places to stop in the canal and Motala has a super motor museum.
The Swedes may now have put into practice the plan to seal your heads outlet to prevent contamination of the Gota Canal.
In addition both lakes Vattern and Vanern are used as fresh water supplies ( I think) so fouling them will make you unpopular.
The Gota canal is both a tgreat engineering feat and a place of great beauty. The major lakes are places to enjoy if you have the time.

mpprh

www.the-languedoc-page.com
Hi

I used to live in Sweden on the West coast.

I have a contact, who has been sailing the West Coast for 20 yrs, (and previously the East coast !). Last year he did a circumnavigation (i.e. Gothenborg South to Baltic, Baltic North to Stockholm, Return via Gotha canal. He is based in Ljungskile.

His Email is : lcljung@swipnet.se

Bon chance

Peter