Gooseneck fitting repair and rivets

colind3782

Visit site
The bottom half of the gooseneck fitting at the mast is worn, needs welding and re-bushing. For that it will have to come off. Drilling out the rivets is no problem but, as the rivet heads are 12mm diameter, I'm pretty sure my hand riveter won't cut it when I come to replace them. Do I buy a HD rivet gun and a handful of large rivets for a one-off job or do I hand it off to a pro?

If I do decide to do it myself, what type of rivets are they?

Rivet heads.jpgRivet heads.jpgGooseneck fitting.jpg

colind3782

Visit site
What about ‘lazy tong’ or other style of high leverage rivet guns?

I’ve used both this style for 1/4 rivets

View attachment 157112
Thanks. That's what I would use too if I DIY. At present I only have a hand riveter which I've only used once or twice on the boat and I would have to order anything larger as tool availability in Empuriabrava is iffy to say the least. Space is tight and do I need another large tool I am unlikely to use again? The question I really need answering is what size and type of rivet would have a 12mm diameter head?

chris-s

Visit site
Thanks. That's what I would use too if I DIY. At present I only have a hand riveter which I've only used once or twice on the boat and I would have to order anything larger as tool availability in Empuriabrava is iffy to say the least. Space is tight and do I need another large tool I am unlikely to use again? The question I really need answering is what size and type of rivet would have a 12mm diameter head?

Have just measured one of the 6mm rivets in my spares box and the head is 12mm. And I understand about too many tools.

Hope that helps.

Boathook

Visit site
What about ‘lazy tong’ or other style of high leverage rivet guns?

I’ve used both this style for 1/4 rivets

View attachment 157112
I would go for the arm type (bottom pic) and it is a type that I have and use. I have tried the lazy tong type and found I could brace myself enough to get the force to operate, though it waw a push rather than pull type.