Good value search light

davel

Visit site
Just thought I'd share this with you as it seems a bargain.

Homebase are currently selling a well made rechargeable searchlight at £19.99. Claims 2,000,000 candlepower and comes with mains and 12 volt recharger.
I've bought one and so far so good.

No association with Homebase but it seemed good value.

Dave L.

kdf

Visit site
Unless the battery is huge then this wont last more than 10 minutes before it needs a recharge. I got a 500K model in the local DIY store - its more than enough for anything you need to do on a boat and it lasts 45 minutes with constant use. Great for spotting all those pots outside Camaret at 1am.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I bought a 12V ship's battery version many years ago from a car parts shop, 1 million candlepower from memory. It is fitted with a Dri-plug and connects to sockets either at the bow, mast or cockpit. Very useful on the few occasions that we needed it.

davel

Visit site
Don't know.
I'll try it tonight and report back. The instructions state that it's not designed for continuous use due to the heat generated from the bulb and suggest its not used for more than 15 minutes continously.

Dave L.

tr7v8

Visit site
Screwfix offer was 500,000 for 9.99!

Ultra bright 500,000 candle power halogen beam. 6V 55W lamp. Pistol grip & lockable trigger. Inc. adaptor.

Specification: Rechargeable sealed lead/acid 4.5Ah battery. Charge from mains or car adaptor 16067

Jim
---------

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Chances are the 500k is 6v and the 1m+ lights are usually 12v so they'll charge faster and may have more umphhh (good technical term). However these are Chinese lights and the performance doesn't come close to a Nite Tracker, though they are excellent value. The difference in reflector quality may be one reason.

I don't know how both can be legally described as 1m or 2m candelas when the difference is so profound. I guess it depends where you measure the light, at the bulb or some distance away.

John

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Yes, I have similar (60W halogen). The only problem I have found with powerful lamps is the reflection, its OK up at the bow and for lighting up the sails, but if used from the cockpit, light bounces back from everything.
The best general purpose light I have is my 'Q Lite', a 6v (4xAA cells) diving torch, very powerful for its size as it uses a variable focus Xenon lamp unit.

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Robert Dyass were even beating ScrewFix (unusual) at £8.99 (identical). I have 2...one for the boat, one at home .......and they've been great. Screwfix do the replacement bulbs at £1.99 which might otherwise be difficult to find.

BrendanS

Visit site
Popped into local Robert Dyas today and they had a whole pyramid on special offer. 1,000,000 cp for 9.99

so I bought one! DC and AC rechargeable. 6v battery

BarryH

Visit site
When the battery finaly gives up, go to your local shooting shop and get a battery for a rifle lamp. I did and upped the capacity at the same time. It now lasts about an hour and a half when used continuosly. It cost £5.99 for a Yuasa battery for a Deben gun lamp.