GMT+2 - good for boating?

gravygraham

Visit site
I see the time changing lobby's building up a head of steam. The proposals seem to be GMT+1 instead of GMT for the winter months, and GMT+2 (or BST+1) to replace BST in the summer. Unless you do most of your boating in winter and in Scotland it seems like a top idea to me.

Anyone see a downside?

Bandit

Visit site
Can I see a downside in longer evenings with sunshine or warmer evenings, .......no.

Do I live in Scotland.......no.

Most businesses work hours to suit them selves either shift or flexi or longer days and friday pm off etc.

If people oop north work different hours to those dahn sarf does it matter we will all get used to it.

The Uk is the only country in western europe except Portugal that has GMT and GMT +1 in the summer, France and Spain are as far west as UK and Norway and Swweden are further north and they seem to manage.

Roll on i say.

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
yes I agree too.

Put clox forward this spring and then leave it as GMT + hrs throu next winter and then forward again in 2012 spring

If that upsets schools etc in the far North of the land change the start time.

I certainly favour being on the same time zone as the majority of europe

Visit site
Politicians like to play god and cheat at the same time - "Daylight saving" they say as though they were increasing the number of hours of sunlight. I´m all in favour of us adjusting ourselves to the sun because there will always be someone who says that the system doesn't suit him.

sarabande

Visit site
I wish I could become really exercised about this daylight question.

From the agricultural POV, it would make dam' all difference. As the daylight expands in spring, we just work longer, starting earlier and finishing later.

Then, come the winter, we scarcely get out of bed at all. it's so dark. ;)

When I taught in the UAE, we started school at 07:30 - which was quite a surprise to some of the teachers whom I recruited.

ian38_39

Visit site
Only people from the boating world I can see it upsetting are a few with sails.
They are the only ones who seem to relish the 5 am start to catch the tide for the 8 hour sail to the next marina 25 miles away.

For me it sounds a great idea and I can't really see it causing a problem other than a few weeks of other country's not being able to contact us at the usual time.

Trundlebug

Visit site
Does changing the clocks alter tide times then?

Whilst I can see some benefits, the fact is that boaters generally work around the tide and the daylight, the time is pretty immaterial.

Changing the time by an hour just displaces the "convenient" day by a day or so to suit the tide, as far as I can see. (If that makes sense?) Daylight has as much bearing on things as the tide to me. If it's light, it's more convenient. Whether that's in the morning or the evening.

I think the real reasoning behind the proposals is so our beloved bankers work the same hours as our fellow Europeans and don't have to put themselves out:rolleyes:

rafiki_

Visit site
The curent system seems pointless to me. I wouod stick at GMT +1 and not mess about changing. Will save me a coupple of hours a year changing clocks/heating etc.

Winter time s bad enough without the current system of gett ing dark at lunch time.

ian38_39

Visit site
Yes Changing the clocks does alter tide times by as much as you alter the clocks by. and although there is no more daylight it moves it to a more convenient time to use it, gets rid of the hour at 4 am and adds it to 9pm.

We are tied to Europe for everything else yet the thing that could actually be useful we ignore. often get calls an hour after I have put my feet up for the night from European customers, bit of a pain if what you need to answer them is in the office.

andy59

Visit site
For a Mobo i would say going GMT +2 in the summer would help with a smooth passage early morning , any breeze that builds during the day seems to pick up mid morning so getting a 2 hour head start on that is an advantage IMHO .

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
often get calls an hour after I have put my feet up for the night from European customers

Eh? They are already one hour ahead so if you have your feet up at 1900hrs - its at least 2000hrs with them.

When I lived on the continent I used to enjoy putting out after a round of golf at after 2200hrs!

Gumpy

Visit site
The thought of the change fills me with dread
I wouldn't see daylight for 3 months of the year, as it is in December and January its only just light when I leave for work and dark when I leave to come home.
and as for the summer I would miss all the early mornings......................

Daft idea if you ask me we tried it once and it failed.......

EugeneR

Visit site
Will require change to electronic devices e.g. chartplotters

Lots of chart plotters and GPS units calculate time by obtaining UTC from some external source e.g. satellite and then applying a built-in definition of BST to it.

If we change, and unless we want to update the time manually when the clock changes (as some may do anyway), these devices will need an upgrade or be replaced.

If not, the time and/or calculated tide tables may be wrong.

The same applies to any other devices that update based on the current definition of BST e.g. central heating control panel, home automation system, cofee machine, TV, DVD, Wii, etc.

The hidden impact to this is huge!

Instead, replace inefficient lights with energy efficient ones... and scrap the new DRL's that have just become law for new cars!

gravygraham

Visit site
The thought of the change fills me with dread
I wouldn't see daylight for 3 months of the year, as it is in December and January its only just light when I leave for work and dark when I leave to come home.

Forgive me but I can't understand your thought process here. There won't be less or more daylight therefore it can't be darker in the mornings and in the evenings at any one point throughout the year.

EugeneR . . .
"The same applies to any other devices that update based on the current definition of BST e.g. central heating control panel, home automation system, cofee machine, TV, DVD, Wii, etc."

Coffee Machine?! With a clock on?! Boy am I behind the times.

AdeOlly

Visit site
I'm all for it; should have been done years ago. Daylight is precious and we waste far too much of it on the current GMT/BST+1.

Contrary to the fears of those worried about their electrical devices; most devices either don't know about BST and have to be manually changed (like my central heating timer) or pick up the time from external signals such as from Rugby time signal, from embedded TV signal timeclocks or from the internet. As to chartplotters, mine, Garmin, and a good few years old, allows for manual selection of timezone and/or UTC offset to be manually entered, as well as auto daylight savings time adjustment, so no problemo to the new scenario :D

EugeneR

Visit site
As to chartplotters, mine, Garmin, and a good few years old, allows for manual selection of timezone and/or UTC offset to be manually entered, as well as auto daylight savings time adjustment, so no problemo to the new scenario :D

Yes, but isn't the point of the auto daylight savings time adjustment feature that you don't have to do that?

Last edited: