GMDSS

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Just to finish off the discussion regarding GMDSS I note on the YBW web site a news item regarding a rescue of some crewmen off Solway...

"Two people were rescued from a yacht 340 miles north-west of Stornoway last night. According to the Clyde Coastguards, the Canadian-registered yacht, Orbit 2, which had been dismasted, was finally located last night with one crewmember suffering with internal bleeding and a fractured leg. They have now been flown to Iceland.

Following a satellite signal from an EPIRB at 1818 yesterday evening, the Coastguard at Clyde, Stornoway and Falmouth relayed a Mayday signal to the area to locate other vessels in the area which may have sighted the stricken yacht. With no response, a marine aircraft was scrambled just before 2100 and the yacht was located at 2300"

Nice to note that the EPIRB system works and was picked up by CG, even on a Canadian registered yacht.

Poter.

ccscott49

Visit site
Success story! Great! Not the first or the last no doubt! The EPIRB being Canadian, makes no difference, the satelite doesn't know what nationality the EPIRB is, it just gets a buzz! (wioth the MMSI Etc.) Which says, help and here I am!

ccscott49

Visit site
I don't think it's bull, but I do think it's not workable in the third, or even the second world!! It requires too much control of people who use the VHF system in areas where there is no control! You will just not get the fishermen in most of the meddy countries to adhere to it, never mind people in other parts of the world, it's a great idea, but will only be of use, where it was designed for, commercial shipping and countries such as the UK with good controls already in place. I carry an EPIRB, but I don't think I will bother with DSC/GMDSS VHF. Not for a long time anyway.

trev

Visit site
The idea was good when it was first thought up, over ten years ago, but things have advanced in leaps and bounds since then - it just took too long to set up and, as you say, is unworkable in several countries - in fact several countries (all signatories) appear to have no intention of complying.
But my main gripe is all the nonesense taught in order to gain a GOC certificate and the waste of time and money on a five day course !!
These days almost all vessels have perfectly adequate telephone comms, EPIRBS, and SARTS as well as the usual radio equipment - so why all the nonesense with MMSI etc.

Trev

ccscott49

Visit site
You're singing my song! I've been saying this all along. There has to be a much simpler solution for pleasure boaters, comunications technology has come along in leaps and bounds in ten years, just look at the mobile phone advances! Also the satellite comunications, have come down in price, I dtill thnk there is a more workable system for pleasure use out there, just needs a little investment and whammo a system built for us, after all there is enough of us out there! By the way, this was my 3001 st post!