GMDSS Long Range Certificate Training / Exam

smolyneux

Visit site
Anyone interested in doing training / exam for the LRC on the East Coast? If we can get someone to instruct a group I can arrange suitable premises with a good pub for lunches around the corner.

Black Sheep

Visit site
Me too!
N Kent but can get to E Coast no problems.
Used to have ham licence, which I mean to revive, but LRC would considerably increase my options.

James

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Erm, why would anyone want a Long Range Certificate? Or am I missing something. I do have a Restricted Operators Certificate (pre GMDSS LRC) but sold the SSB radio years ago. Surely a Satphone and laptop are a more practical (and economical) alternative plus a Ham radio for the various maritime nets. You can't make phone calls with a SSB anymore and there must be more boats with Satphones than SSBs. Just curious, that's all!

johnabbott893

www.theabbotts.eu
I asked Lowestoft college if they would do one for me in May. They were going to investigate and get back to me. That was a couple of weeks ago. I could make April if there was space with this group.

smolyneux

Visit site
Turtleback, May would certainly suit me if there is room; Sea Survival / Diesel / First Aid all going on in March / April. The former in Shotley which I see is where you keep your boat.

shmoo

Visit site
I can recommend Lowestoft. Did my LRC there few years back when they used to "fit-in" LRC candidates onto odd days professional courses.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
Erm, why would anyone want a Long Range Certificate? Or am I missing something. I do have a Restricted Operators Certificate (pre GMDSS LRC) but sold the SSB radio years ago. Surely a Satphone and laptop are a more practical (and economical) alternative plus a Ham radio for the various maritime nets. You can't make phone calls with a SSB anymore and there must be more boats with Satphones than SSBs. Just curious, that's all!

[/ QUOTE ]Sat phones would be great for a 21 days Atlantic passage, but I imagine you could soon run up a terrifying bill if you are planning on going sailing for any length of time... on top of this, in the middle of an ocean, in the event of problems, you won't have the numbers of other boats nearby, so not much use really!

smolyneux

Visit site
I have just spoken to Lowestoft and they can do a course just for us; we need to give them an idea of dates to go to their radio lecturer with.

The course is five days but they are happy to consider including a weekend to minimise the impact of a Mon - Fri working week.