GK24 Masthead Mast Stolen

mainsheet67

Visit site
My mast was stolen from the mast rack of Davis' Boatyard in Poole. It had been there for years whilst the boat was being 'done up'. There's nothing to be said about that except I need a cheap replacement!
Any suggestions to help a stranded sailor ?

mainsheet67 :)

dgadee

Visit site
Were you paying storage fees over his period? If so, I think they may need to contact their insurers.

dt4134

Visit site
From your description my suspicion would be that they might've forgotten who owned it and disposed of it in some way.

mainsheet67

Visit site
No. Although yard staff and others remember it being there ( even the position in the rack ) no one remembers WHEN it was last seen. Mast was not re-positioned or moved elsewhere. Sigh ....

mainsheet67

Visit site
No mate, first port of call on discovering loss was the yard staff. Not been moved by them. It was obviously stolen to order - some one wanted a mast of that size, as much larger sections were available ( and more easily accessible ) if their plan was to make a fortune out of the scrap value !

dgadee

Visit site
"No" - does that mean you weren't paying yard fees?

I wintered a GK24 there many years ago, and certainly wouldn't have got away without paying ...

dgadee

Visit site
Ofcourse I am paying yard fees - which includes free use of mast-rack.

Then I think you should get legal advice about the yard's liability. It seems to me that they cannot just shrug their shoulders and say it's your hard luck. It seems difficult to believe that someone could just walk off with a mast without the knowledge of yard staff.

A new mast will probably cost you around £2,500.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Then I think you should get legal advice about the yard's liability. It seems to me that they cannot just shrug their shoulders and say it's your hard luck. It seems difficult to believe that someone could just walk off with a mast without the knowledge of yard staff.

A new mast will probably cost you around £2,500.

And the rest if you have to renew all the rigging, furler boom etc, as it might not be possible to get the original type.
My mast renewal was around £10.5k for a 30ft boat.
C_W