Giant Killers....

Cariadco

Visit site
Although Sunrise held this tittle after their Fastnet shenanigans a couple of years ago, but Red Ruby, a Sunfast 3300 nearly took everything, in this Year's Middle Sea Race.....First in ORC Overall,, Fist in class 6, ORC and IRC, First Double Handed in both ORC & IRC and the Big one....Second in IRC overall, so they lost the overall win by just 24 seconds!! and that was to Bullitt, an 93 foot Wally Maxi.
As good as it was, that result would have been amazing.

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
If they'd got line honours that would have been amazing.

Also if they'd won ORC overall without being first in their class would have been surprising, even in the Muddle Sea Race.

Is it really surprising that two rival rating systems give similar answers?

Small boat wins handicap race.
After 150 years, rating systems not entirely hopeless?

The best small boat presumably.

Laser310

Visit site
I guess there is a historical connection to RORC, but it's not an RORC race - right?

I am wondering why the overall is awarded to the winner of IRC, and not to the winner of ORC.

B27

Visit site
I guess there is a historical connection to RORC, but it's not an RORC race - right?

I am wondering why the overall is awarded to the winner of IRC, and not to the winner of ORC.
Are all the boats in IRC, but only a subset in ORC?

B27

Visit site
Basically.

Hell of a result from Red Ruby.
Whoever wins a race like this, it's a great result from them.
It does show the full crew don't earn their keep on a long course maybe?

Having a good margin over other boats of the same design shows they weren't just gifted it by the vagaries of handicap racing.