GETTING NERVOUS

freddy

Visit site
I HAVE BEEN LIVING ABOARD SINCE JUNE 2001. WHEN I FIRST CAME TO THIS MARINA WHICH IS RUN BY BWW, BUT OWNED BY THE COUNCIL, I TOLD THEM OF MY INTENTION TO LIVE ABOARD AND WAS TOLD IT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM. WE HAVE SINCE HAD A NEW MANAGER IN POST WHO SEEMS TO WANT EVERYTHING RUN BY THE BOOK. IN THE MARINA'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS IT STATES BERTH HOLDERS CAN ONLY BE ABOARD 21 NIGHTS OUT OF 28. I HAVE NOTHING OFFICIAL TO SAY THAT I WAS TOLD IT WAS OK TO LIVE ABOARD. I AM GETTING EXTREMELY EDGY NOW. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I STAND LEGALLY? ALL COMMENTS AND ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.
CHEERS

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
So who's going to count how many nites you spend aboard, and how can they prove it, and how can they prove you were actually aboard on any given nite?

<hr width=100% size=1>

freddy

Visit site
I DO TAKE YOUR POINT AND I DID THINK ABOUT THAT. I JUST THOUGHT THAT SINCE I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS I MIGHT HAVE ATTAINED RESIDENCY, IF THERE IS SUCH A THING. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I GUESS THE BEST THING IS TO JUST TRY AND KEEP A LOW PROFILE

<hr width=100% size=1>

summerwind

Visit site
Yes. Keeping a low profile is definitely the best policy. There are quite a few liveaboards on our site. Only one person has been harrassed by the authorities and that was because she claimed benefits from the local council!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
Its the same down in Exeter basin. Liveaboards strictly forbidden, but many do it. It's only when you start getting obvious that you'll run into trouble... like hanging laundry to dry, putting table and chairs on pontoon, or putting plants on the boat!

Wife and I are going to be semi live aboards for the summer in London.. spending three or four nights a week onboard, and rest elsewhere... probably in solicitors' offices filing for divorce I expect!

Anyway good luck and keep your head down. and if they get very difficult, spending 7 nights a month elsewhere shouldn't be too hard if you have a few friends...

SWMBO is expecting to be whisked to PAris and other such destinations each weekend in order to stay off the boat enough! I am thinking visiting my mother would be a far better plan.. ;-)

regards,

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Hi Freddy
I have sent you a PM Hope it helps
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>robinwdunham

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
We rented a mobile home next to the house, had done for years and assumed it was included in the house Community Charge. Pillock tenant claimed some benefit and suddenly there's another community charge to pay.

Always keep a low profile in all matters involving government, and make your feelings known on May 1st.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

summerwind

Visit site
NO, NO, NO!!!!!

Don't make your feelings felt on the 1st of May. In order to do that (Vote) you must be on an electoral role. That means they not only know you exist, they know where you exist and will send you a TAX demand.

The secret is a LOW profile. Being on an electoral role is not keepibng a low profile. Let's face it - the people you are likely to vote for a a bunch of tossers anyway, so what are you losing?

<hr width=100% size=1>

elenya

Visit site
hi there. yup its a problem worldwide im afraid. we have lived inmany marinas as we are slowly cruising round the world, this is what we and most others have found.
1 just do it and keep it out of peoples faces.
2 failure by the marina to enforce its ' non live aboard' rule has gone in our favour always ( unless there is a local bylaw )
3 even in real un freindly marinasthey have always taken our money, moaned, threatened and eventually ignored us.

ignore the petty rule makers and enjoy the sailing

<hr width=100% size=1>

elenya

Visit site
hi summerwind

we're in sunny? apart from the rain, new zealand at present. topping up the kitty ready to toodle on our way to adventures new once more. not a bad spot with heaps to do and see. working is not to bad as they even pay you to sail their boats ( which is what ill be doing for the next 10 days).
many thanx for the welcome. where abouts are you from?

regards jim .yacht elenya

<hr width=100% size=1>

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
I have heard of this before, but most marinas (small and independent) seem to turn a blind eye, one berth master told me how the marina security was improved by a couple of live aboards.

I don't know if this is true but I did hear about someone in a north England marina getting housing benefit to pay his marina fees!

<hr width=100% size=1>PB