Geo Wilson and Sons (Boat Builders) Ltd, Sunbury on Thames.

cygnusv

www.best-camping-stoves.com
They've been around for more than 100 years and built our boat, launching her in 1951. I was idly looking around the 'net and suddenly found that they've launched a website! The site itself is currently very simple but has a page with lots of photo's of their boats from the past. I'm really hoping that they will extend the site and post more pic's.
One of the pictures there is of Gertrudis (not sure of the spelling). Our boat (then called Flaxedil) is her sister, though not sure which was built first. Before you get to Gertrudis is another Black Swan with a sunshade canopy that was exported to Persia. I believe that she was number one in the class. I think ours was probably number 4 in the class but not certain. Maybe Wilsons will read this and let us know.

Well worth bookmarking.

http://www.georgewilsonandsons.com

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
Thanks for that link, fascinating slide show. I'd forgotten Laughing Gull, was in beautiful condition in the Henley area until about 10 years ago. Strange no Jenny Wrens in the photo's as they produced them before the Flying/Black/Royal Swans.

Brando

Visit site
More about the Flaxedil from the 60's

One of the pictures there is of Gertrudis (not sure of the spelling). Our boat (then called Flaxedil) is her sister, though not sure which was built first. Before you get to Gertrudis is another Black Swan with a sunshade canopy that was exported to Persia. I believe that she was number one in the class. I think ours was probably number 4 in the class but not certain. Maybe Wilsons will read this and let us know.

The Story my family had is a little different : A Doctor bought a boat in 1960 but his 2 daughters were not interested ; we were told he paid Wilsons £3,000 to build it new for him ; my mum and dad bought it from the Doctor in 1963 ( the name is of a proprietary happiness inducing drug!! My family and I enjoyed some halcyon days on this beautiful boat of which I still have some good photos. The name of the boat ? Flaxedil. Any one who now own her can you tell me where she is these days and dos she still have the same Coventry Godiva Diesel Engine and all her beautiful fitments in teak and mahogany?

cygnusv

www.best-camping-stoves.com

The Story my family had is a little different : A Doctor bought a boat in 1960 but his 2 daughters were not interested ; we were told he paid Wilsons £3,000 to build it new for him ; my mum and dad bought it from the Doctor in 1963 ( the name is of a proprietary happiness inducing drug!! My family and I enjoyed some halcyon days on this beautiful boat of which I still have some good photos. The name of the boat ? Flaxedil. Any one who now own her can you tell me where she is these days and dos she still have the same Coventry Godiva Diesel Engine and all her beautiful fitments in teak and mahogany?

Hi Brando

Three years ago the youngest daughter visited us, with her husband, from Brisbane, Australia. She told us the the story as she remembered it. I'll keep an eye on this thread, and if you reply I will give you more info. She still has the original engine and it still runs like new. PM me if you like, Stu