Gennakers and Chutescoops

bastonjock

Visit site
well ive gone and done it,ive bought an A symetrical spinnaker or Gennaker if you preferr and a chutescoop.I have never used one and at present do not have a spinnaker pole to tack it to so ill be flying it off the bow.

Now my plan is to move the jib halyard block further up the mast and then run the sheets through the genoa cars

am i barking up the right tree or am i about to get myself in a tangle

also in need of a 5-6ft lenght of 2 inch aluminium and some other bits of aluminium to make a spin pole,anywhere online that i can find this stuff? tryed search engines but they only bring up wholesalers

Jomo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

also in need of a 5-6ft lenght of 2 inch aluminium and some other bits of aluminium to make a spin pole,anywhere online that i can find this stuff? tryed search engines but they only bring up wholesalers

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd try this question on the PBO site. Numerous knowledgeable people on there, likely that someone has followed this path before

Ian

alldownwind

Visit site
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong wotsit, in which case excuse me for saying this.....it's normal for the tack of an asymmetric to be led to the bow, not a pole. You don't need a pole at all, I don't think. You can fly one of these sails dead downwind with a pole, but as they are asymmetric they can be a bit unstable.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
What is the pole for? Do you want to get the tack out infront of the boat - bow sprit style or to take the sail out to the side of the boat as in a spinnaker / whisker pole?

I got the kite up on Sat for all of 10 mins - it was great! One of the few benefits of taking a bunch of Scouts sailing - they sat below playing cards and the other Scout Leader and I sailed the boat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
The block needs to be above the forestay at the top of the mast. The sheets (guys if you must) go to a block on the stern quarter and then back to your genny winches. I'm not sure how well a symmetrical spinny will set at the bow; it will look odd I guess. Image this set with it's bottom left corner pulled down to the bow. Don't think it would work too well. But get a pole and it will be fine. I have a lazy guy here as well - this side dangles whereas the other is sheeted direct to the port side genny winch.

113-1342_IMG.jpg

bastonjock

Visit site
the pole would be for a bow sprit

the asym is coming with a tack pennant,im not quite sure what it dies but i think that it may be to keep the aspin higher off the deck

I was thinking of running the sheets more or less as tiller girl mentioned

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Not had much experience of asymetricals but would suggest one issue is how you stop the pole (bow sprit) lifting when the sail fills? The sheet would I think need to go further back than the genny sheets - maybe to a block right back on the quarters (depends on how quickly your stern cuts in) and then the sheet run forward in the cockpit to the winch.

I am sure other more racy & experienced types will be along soon!

I wish my SWMBO was as understanding about spending money on the boat as yours must be! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
Sorry. Just seen the 'A'.

I currently bring my tack pennant on the crusing chute just aft of the stem where I have a deck eye. It would be better if it was on the stem. You can see how leaving the tack pennant long sags the tack off to leeward. In this photo - trying the chute for the first time and single handed, I used one tandam spinnaker sheet splitting it either side (Each of my spinnaker sheets is two lines - one for the sheet and one for the lazy guy. I thought I could use just one for the chute spitting it wither side but it isn't long enough. You can see that the port sheet is too tight - wasn't long enough and in effect shows what happens if the sheeting is too far forward. It's effectly sheeting in the sail too much. The starboard line is going to my aft quarter and would have be fine otherwise.

Merged2.jpg

I think you still need the block for the halliard to be above the forestay at the top of the mast unless it is quite small

MoodySabre

Visit site
You can buy ali tubing at One Stop Chandlery in Maldon. Usual UK arrangement - priced by the metre and sold by the foot. They have two sizes and spinny poles to match. Must sell it elsewhere surely.

And yes, your sheets need to come further back to blocks almost at the stern and then forward to the winches.

bastonjock

Visit site
well i got it out of the bag tonight,then the fun started,i got the tack right by luck and i then managed to attach the halyard to the clew,so it all looked at tad silly.I changed over and rigged the halyard to the correct corner.

I than fitted the chutescoop and tryed it out a few times,it is one pretty sail and its big,the clew comes back to the cockpit.

If the weather is okay tommorrow ill post a picture of it,i also fixed a block about 12 inches above the jib halyard,it all looks okay to me.

tillergirl

Visit site
Ah yes. There you have started me on a hobby horse of mine. On mine the head is coloured yellow both sides. The Tack is coloured red (on one side) and the Clew green (on one side). Why? The Tack is the tack whether it's set to port or starboard so why the colours. Or have I missed something?

I still can't remember if I described those colours the right way round and it doesn't half look silly with the wrong bit at the stem. I shall have to splice on a strop to remind me which corner is what!