Generators

Gazza

Visit site
I have just inherited a somewhat battered but functioning petrol generator, a Honda EM500E. It starts easily enough, and seems basically sound.

The plan is to use it as a means of charging batteries when the wind generator hasn't got enough wind to keep the batteries topped up. As a complete novice in respect of generators, can anyone help with advice on use please.

There are two outlets, one for AC and one for DC. To charge the batteries, I assume all I need to do is connect the appropriate lead to the batteries, and start the generator.

Or isn't it that simple?

JeremyF

Visit site
Do you have shore power and a battery charger?: If yes, plug 230v AC into the shorepower, and then you'll get controlled charging into the battery. Dont connect 12v DC straight into the batteries unless you have some regulation system.

<font color=blue>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=blue>

snowleopard

Visit site
the 12v output from the baby honda gen is no use, it would only give a trickle charge. you'll have to put the ac through a proper charger, price in the hundreds!

Robin

Visit site
Yes agreed, but if the charger is too powerful it will trip the generator out. Depends on the power used by the charger and the efficiency it converts AC to DC. We had a 30 amp Poweramp Hawk that the maker 'detuned' on board for us so it would just run on a 750w Kawasaki, actually gave about 25 amps. We were lucky that the designer of the charger was interested himself to find out what worked in practice, and came on board with a full test rig. I understand some chargers are very inefficient at converting AC to DC and therefore the AC power required is more than you think, between 50/80% maybe is the efficiency factor.