generators

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
can anyone recommend what type, model and cost of a generator would be suitable for a boat on the thames. Was told that it might be worth getting one if we buy one of the boats we are interested in. hot water and hob run off electric (american boat) so unless in a marina we cant use. Want to get an idea of budget

ms1

Visit site
I think you need to start with assessing what wattage you need. The more you need the more the generator will cost.

Second consideration is noise. You can get an nice ex-army genny cheap, but the bankside neighbours will give you a hell of a time. Even a quiet genny can be heard from 50 paces especially early morning and late evening.
Good way to make yourself unpopular on the Thames
Portable quality, quiet 1 to 1.5 KW genny I would expect you'd spend £500 to 1000 and I doubt whether you could run water heater and hob simultaneously on that ..

neale

Visit site
If it is portable you're after, you can't go wrong with a Honda. If you're on a bugdet, the Kipor's are similar if a little cheaply made. I have the yellow version, which produces a pure sine wave, so is a direct rival to the Honda. I paid under £200 for a 1000w model. A similar Honda will be around £600. While on the Thames last year for 10 days, saw lots of boats with Kipor's and I am v happy with mine. You pays your money.............

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
I think that sort of answers my question to be honest. Don't really want the hassle of doing that every time I moor up and it sort of ruins the idea of mooring up in peace and quiet!
One thing I've learned in trying to buy our first boat - nothing is ever simple !

TrueBlue

Visit site
Bolt on alternator and control unit - goes on one your main engines; about £3K

Separate water cooled sound insulated gen set about £6k - but where would you put it. Might be worth seriously considering to convert hot water to calorifier tank and a gas hob (etc). Less complex and likely to take up less room (FWIW).

edit: nearly Lakesailored, I assumed you'd want something onboard - a portable unit of about 5KW which is what I had in mind would be air cooled, noisy, far, far too hevy to keep moving onto the bank.

Oh, and by the way the US boat will most likely be 110v 60Hz, and thise are not always off the shelf over here. Perhaps that's why you might be thinking you're getting a good deal??

Brayman

Visit site
I'd go for a nice quiet Honda such as the EU20i, that's about 2kw but is fairly expensive at £900 or so.
You should get hot water from your engine when cruising. I'm surprised the boat doesn't have an inbuilt generator if it's all electric. I'd go for one with gas for cooking if it hasn't got an inbuilt generator.
There is a byelaw (no 57 I think) that says you shouldn't run an engine when moored "to the annoyance of your neighbours" but I've only been told about it once in Abingdon.

Chris_d

Visit site
For Thames use I would strongly reccomend you find a boat with a gas hob and engine heated hot water. All electric is fine for the coastal based marina caravans but a real pain on the river, a properly built in genie is one thing but if your relying on a portable one, it will be a bit awkward to fire it up each time you want a cup of tea or to wash up. I see a lot of these genies sitting on the bankside or strapped to the bathing platform, but thats not very convienent if you want to boil a kettle whilst waiting at a lock etc...

byron

RIP
Visit site
Apart from probably being 110 volts a built in say 3 - 3½ kva Genny would be best. You could of course take the cheaper option which is install more battery power and a chunky inverter.
oceaneagle.jpg

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Apart from probably being 110 volts a built in say 3 - 3½ kva Genny would be best. You could of course take the cheaper option which is install more battery power and a chunky inverter.
oceaneagle.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, But.. If going the inverter route do your sums first. I have 500aH at 24v and whereas a 1600W vacuum cleaner for 10 minutes and/or an occasional electric kettle canes the battery bank a little, anything more and all the lights go out.

IMO an electric cooker takes at least 5Kw at moderate chat SWMBO demands two rings simultaneously plus grill or oven at home - and translates to the gas cooker on board.

5KW gennie onboard and even 3KW inverters are quite expensive and either consume space (the former) or eat batteries (the latter).

ADLS

Visit site
inlandnewbie,

Check out the Advance Yacht web site at www.advanceyacht.co.uk there dealers for Paguro marine generators that are fully plumbed in water cooled sets.
The smallest is the 3000 a 3.6kw model, measures 450mm long x 340mm wide x 490 high external dimentions to the sound proof box. the hot water recovery kit will heat your hot water system and with a double coil unit or valve bank you can couple up the main engine/s to give you heat and hot water while on the run.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
thanks for all the advice, but we have since decided against that boat (mostly because of the fact we would need a generator), as we have 2 other options available to us that don't require one.
Being a lazy git, I just know I wouldn't bother with a cup of teas and a hot shower if it meant setting up a generator everytime! Much to swmbo annoyance!!