Generator

lustyd

Visit site
I’m considering a small generator and looking at the Hyundai 2000W models. Although I understand the Honda eu22i is the general recommendation can anyone explain the £1000 difference in price? Both are pure sine wave petrol gennys and the Hyundai is (from specs) the quieter unit. I’ve had nothing but reliable products from Hyundai in the past too so assume not reliability?

What am I missing?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I had great service from a Kipor 2600. From a supplier/importer in Thame, Oxfordshire.

After we changed boats and fitted a diesel genset I sold it to a forum member through the 'for sale' forum.

I visited the importer before purchase and ensured they were 'up to the job' of supporting sales of mechanical kit.

They were, but I never needed any parts.

Lodestone

Visit site
I've used Honda super silents for over 20 years both for personal use and professionally ( power for multibeam surveys on small boats etc.). I default to them because they have proved to be reliable, sweet, compact units.

With other plant (a Chapman flail, an Ifor logsplitter) it's Honda everytime up to about 28HP...including the quadbike. You just don't get any crap from them unlike most other small petrol engines.

The eu22i can be ganged together and synchronised to produce twice the power, so that is one advantage in buying one now...you can add another later for other uses.

I always run Aspen/Huskqvarna etc. alkylated fuel through as a last tank prior to storage for any period.

Quiddle

Visit site
At a smaller scale I bought a Clarke (MachineMart) 700W genny to replace a dead EU10i for a third of the price. The Clarke does not have the 'first pull' starting of the Honda but in all other respects is as good. Definitely much better value if slightly less quality. I changed motivated by size and weight.

lustyd

Visit site
Is the continuous power output the same? From memory, I think the Honda wins.
Hard to say as they seem to be rated differently but the numbers are largely comparable from what I can see. The Honda has a slightly higher "rated Output" but can run for less time than the Hyundai can run at "continuous output". Certainly nothing that would explain a £1000 uplift on a £350 device.

lustyd

Visit site
My Kipor was the equivilent of a £2K Honda.

IIRC, at the cash on the barrel collect myself price it was £460.

No contest for leisure use.

given the difference I was genuinely expecting someone to have a good explanation 😂 Good to know I'm not the only one, will give the Hyundai a go

Jules W

www.sailblogs.com
Some years ago we had a Honda 1000. We used to tie it to the mast underway. One day I noticed my dog cocking his leg on it. When I came to start it flames shot out the front! I took it to my local Honda dealer who couldn't fix it. The poor bloke said he couldn't understand what had happened. The unit looked like it was covered in acid inside. I hadn't got the heart to tell him it was probably dog wer!