Gas bottles in Spain

dgadee

Visit site
This has appeared a number of times in different parts of the forum, but still not sure what I should do.

I took out camping Gaz and installed 6kg propane bottles. Now in Spain and need to think about refills. Can I presume the 6kg bottles can't be filled here? Can I also presume that there are no bottles the same size as my 6kg ones (no space for larger)?

Am I correct that easiest path is back to Camping Gaz?

Last edited:

wallacebob

Visit site
Best source of advice is Caravan & Motorhome Club site forum. I believe that you have to "buy" a Cepsa or Repsol cylinder same as you do in UK. Smaller sizes are available but less common. The camp sites frequented by Brits is good source of bottles, or car boots.

Yngmar

Visit site
Refills can be had at the refinery (DISA). Check opening hours first. In the long run, switching back to Camping Gaz will probably safe you a lot of trouble. The gas is more expensive but you don't need to rent a car to get it! :)

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
This has appeared a number of times in different parts of the forum, but still not sure what I should do.

I took out camping Gaz and installed 6kg propane bottles. Now in Spain and need to think about refills. Can I presume the 6kg Calor bottles can't be filled here? Can I also presume that there are no bottles the same size as my 6kg ones (no space for larger)?

Am I correct that easiest path is back to Camping Gaz?

Yes it is. You can get camping gas refills and all the regulators, tubing and other spares from Gas shops which are in most towns who mainly sell giant cylinders for home use but also stock camping gas.
My bottles are in a draining locker so I pushed the camping gas supply tube over the copper pipe from the calor gas supply then added 4 jubilee clips to what was already a tight fit, The rubber tube goes to the inexpensive regulator on to of the bottle - Spanish refill/exchanges are around 17€ a shot... Do not do the above connection unless the locker drains directly overboard!

Michael

dgadee

Visit site
Just to say that bottles were filled without problem. One was empty and the other still had some in it. Bloke at bottle centre said (via Google translate) that contents didn't matter since filling was automatic.

He had the adaptor for the bottles.

Gas station was about 2 miles from marina, but marina had details.

€15.90 for the two 6kg bottles. I may have misunderstood but this was filled from the autogas pump which is cheaper than home gas.

Last edited:

jdc

Visit site
Just to say that bottles were filled without problem. One was empty and the other still had some in it. Bloke at bottle centre said (via Google translate) that contents didn't matter since filling was automatic.

He had the adaptor for the bottles.

Gas station was about 2 miles from marina, but marina had details.

€15.90 for the two 6kg bottles. I may have misunderstood but this was filled from the autogas pump which is cheaper than home gas.

You did better than I did in the Canaries - well done!

May I enquire which 6kg bottes you had and what' s the connection on the top? 21 or 27mm clip-on? We had no problem with Aga/BP/Gaslite 5kg Propane/6Kg Butane composite with clip-on regulator connection, or with Repsol bottles bought in Spain, but gave up on the 4.5Kg Calor.

dgadee

Visit site
Calor propane. Screw in. Not sure of size, just think standard screw with reversed threads.

[3889]

Visit site
Just to add, after further helpful advice from dgadee, we had a 6kg Calor propane bottle filled at the Repsol plant in A Coruña today, for €10. It is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/LXv6ypVfjBy
No. 23 bus goes from outside Marina Coruña to within 100m of the plant.
A note of caution, however. The plant operative wanted to fill the cylinder completely, leaving no vapour space and the possibility of liquified gas emerging at the appliance, so specify 12 litres for a 6kg bottle to give a 20% safety margin.

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
Just resurrecting this request again. Boat is now in Costa del Sol (Almerimar) and I'll have a car available when I am next over. Any suggestions on where along that coast I might get the Calor bottles refilled?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not an issue for yachts (probably) but it was a big problem for us in the motorhome last winter. Spanish autogas is about 50/50 butane and propane, not 100% propane as UK. In cold weather the propane burns off leaving the butane behind, on which our heating would not run. We were on a big campsite where we could have rented a Repsol bottle but they wanted a safety inspection certificate, which is normal in Spain but not in UK. To rent the bottle would have cost us around €50 for the inspection. Loads of useful information here https://www.mylpg.eu/

dgadee

Visit site
Loads of useful information here https://www.mylpg.eu/

The problem with that site is that it's not clear whether it is a fuel station or a gas cylinder depot. In A Coruna I was able to go into a gas bottle depot which also had a filling point for cars. They filled my bottles from the car point with an adaptor which they had. A list of cylinder depots is probably what I need.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The problem with that site is that it's not clear whether it is a fuel station or a gas cylinder depot. In A Coruna I was able to go into a gas bottle depot which also had a filling point for cars. They filled my bottles from the car point with an adaptor which they had. A list of cylinder depots is probably what I need.

Yes I agree. Very much automotive based where bottle filling is not an issue.