Gas bottles in Greece

houldsworth

Visit site
I intend to move my boat from Turkey to Greece, nothing to do with politics, just a change of cruising ground, and need to be prepared with correct gas regulator fitting for Greek bottles.
Can someone confirm whether Greek bottles have smallish, 16 mm thread or are they clip on type.
Would like to buy in UK to avoid problems.

blue elephant

Visit site
The most widely available gas bottles are a Greek version of GAZ bottles. Same size and fitting. If you are persistent you can generally swap your genuine GAZ bottle like for like but supplies are declining because the Greeks take them and paint them green or blue. Not a problem until you leave Greece and have to buy new unpainted bottles. Just having CGI impressed on the top of the bottle is not enough to convince dealers in other countries to accept them.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When the time comes to leave Greece .
Option , if your GAZ bottle have sticker belonging to GAZ , remove sticker and keep , before leaving Greece buy blue paint , repay bottle and put the sticker back on , good change you get away with it , other option is find someone just arriving in Greece and change the bottle . Maybe offer a full greek bottle for and Empty GAZ in exchange , that normal works .
Last option lafkes Marina chandles also Corfu Marina at time will have empty GAZ bottle just handed in ask to exchange one for one of yours

Last edited:

billcowan

Visit site
Leaving Greece for Italy, stopped at chandlers in Lefkas, he had lots of proper GAZ bottles, so I swapped all my rusty dark blue greek horrors for nice clean pale blue ones.

charles_reed

Visit site
No hard and fast rule, but always the fitting is the standard Camping Gaz one, unless you go for one of the local brands.
Refills are easy €6-8, exchange more dodgy and expensive if not dark blue with a Petrogaz transfer or embossing.
Many Shell garages do exchange, but they also carry a competitor system.
Last thing I'd do is buy anything to do with LPG in UK and certainly not bottles - prices in UK are x3 to x10 other places.
Best I found was the GRP polypropylene Cube, sold in France and Portugal - no rust, same oa weight full as the Gaz bottle and holding x2 as much LPG and for a similar price. However that is a slide-on patent fitting. I just change the connection onto my gas supply.