Garmin hand-held GPS12 - shows wong date - does this matter?

Poignard

Visit site
I had a Garmin hand-held GPS12 on board as a back-up but I have not often used it,

I intend sellling it but when I put batteries in it today and switched it on, although it works fine, it showed the wrong date and time.

After leaving it to settle for a while a while it is now showing the correct time but the date is still wrong (13-OCT-04), and there seems to be no way of changing it.

Does it matter if the displayed date is wrong?

It seems to be working perfectly well otherwise.

jdc

Visit site
You have to consider why you don't have a 1998 mobile phone - some of the reasons are:
- it only works on now obsolete networks, with reducing coverage
- its battery life is dreadful
- Any source of interference jams it
- and it simply wont do many of the functions you have come to take for granted; it will fail just when needed most.
Everyone has dumped them.

Yet for GPS sets people hang onto dinosaurs. The technology has moved on - it's called More's Law! Get a modern set. Just some of the reasons:
- there are now 100s of satellites not just the early GPS ones
- the robustness to jamming (accidental, eg by Radar, or deliberate) has improved beyond compare. You've no idea how much work goes into this for GPS for use in mobile phones (what, put it next to a transmitter??? What do you think a phone does...)
- the accuracy and reliability has improved so much it is a different beast. Especially important is SBAS, which all modern sets can do.
- the power consumption has fallen by a factor of 10 or even 100
- old sets no longer work reliably (roll over issues etc). You can't trust them.
- modern sets can acquire much, much faster
- they can track very weak signals, eg on the cabin
- and the cost has actually fallen!

Just buy a newish one. You wont regret it.

Poignard

Visit site
You have to consider why you don't have a 1998 mobile phone - some of the reasons are:
- it only works on now obsolete networks, with reducing coverage
- its battery life is dreadful
- Any source of interference jams it
- and it simply wont do many of the functions you have come to take for granted; it will fail just when needed most.
Everyone has dumped them.

Yet for GPS sets people hang onto dinosaurs. The technology has moved on - it's called More's Law! Get a modern set. Just some of the reasons:
- there are now 100s of satellites not just the early GPS ones
- the robustness to jamming (accidental, eg by Radar, or deliberate) has improved beyond compare. You've no idea how much work goes into this for GPS for use in mobile phones (what, put it next to a transmitter??? What do you think a phone does...)
- the accuracy and reliability has improved so much it is a different beast. Especially important is SBAS, which all modern sets can do.
- the power consumption has fallen by a factor of 10 or even 100
- old sets no longer work reliably (roll over issues etc). You can't trust them.
- modern sets can acquire much, much faster
- they can track very weak signals, eg on the cabin
- and the cost has actually fallen!

Just buy a newish one. You wont regret it.
I'm afraid you've rather missed the point.

I have one to sell. I do not want to buy one.

Boathook

Visit site
My furuno GPS, a gp-31 shows the wrong date as well due to the rollover a few years back. Still gives an accurate fix so I use it for the dsc radio that doesn't have an in built GPS.

Poignard

Visit site
So, not state of the art but certainly not sh*^, as our opinionated friend above claims.

With carrying case, and owner's manual, all in very good condition, I reckon I'm not robbing anybody if I put it in the For Sale forum for £65.00.

escapism

Visit site
I love old technology - still have a Garmin GPS128 in the cockpit, a YSE8 engine, run Navionics on a Hudl, and have a Pye valve radio for R3 at home. But I consigned 2 GPS12s to recycling years ago because 1. the truly awful battery consumption 2. it wouldn't work reliably at the chart table, only on deck.
If someone wants to buy it as a display item, then fair enough, but as a functional GPS there are so many better cheap alternatives.

Thistle

Visit site
I had a Garmin hand-held GPS12 on board as a back-up but I have not often used it,

I intend sellling it but when I put batteries in it today and switched it on, although it works fine, it showed the wrong date and time.

After leaving it to settle for a while a while it is now showing the correct time but the date is still wrong (13-OCT-04), and there seems to be no way of changing it.

Does it matter if the displayed date is wrong?

It seems to be working perfectly well otherwise.

After reading this post I popped in some new batteries and fired up my GPS12, software version 4.60. Having been out of use for a while it took a considerable time to get a fix (which I'm not grumbling about) but the fix was accurate both in place and time/date.

I wonder if your unit has an earlier version of the software?

Poignard

Visit site
After reading this post I popped in some new batteries and fired up my GPS12, software version 4.60. Having been out of use for a while it took a considerable time to get a fix (which I'm not grumbling about) but the fix was accurate both in place and time/date.

Thanks. That's interesting.

How can I find what software version mine has and, if it's not up to date, how can I update it, please?

[194224]

Visit site
Thanks. That's interesting.

How can I find what software version mine has and, if it's not up to date, how can I update it, please?
The software version is shown on the welcome page when the device is turned on.

Firmware and instructions are here: Garmin: GPS 12 Updates & Downloads

That's odd, my GPS12XL (functionally similar to the GPS12) has version 4.6 software but the date is, as expected, 1024 weeks out of kilter. It shows the date as 14 October 2004. The position is correct though.

Garmin said they weren't going to the fix the problem GPS 12 Time and Date are Incorrect | Garmin Support so perhaps a non-Garmin fix has been applied to yours.

Edit - Perhaps this one? GPSrChive - EOW

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 16.25.19_7900c51d.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 16.25.19_7900c51d.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 16.25.10_c0852e46.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 16.25.10_c0852e46.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
The software version is shown on the welcome page when the device is turned on.

Firmware and instructions are here: Garmin: GPS 12 Updates & Downloads

That's odd, my GPS12XL (functionally similar to the GPS12) has version 4.6 software but the date is, as expected, 1024 weeks out of kilter. It shows the date as 14 October 2004. The position is correct though.

Garmin said they weren't going to the fix the problem GPS 12 Time and Date are Incorrect | Garmin Support so perhaps a non-Garmin fix has been applied to yours.

Edit - Perhaps this one? GPSrChive - EOW
Thanks Baltika

The software version on my GPS12 is 4.56.

Even if it were possible to upgrade the software, I would not be able to do it without an interface cable [Garmin part no: 010-10054-00], which I am sure I didn't get when I bought the GPS.

I think my best bet is to sell it as it is, since having the correct date is unimportant for its primary function of position finding and navigation.

bluerm166

Visit site
I have now moved on from my Garmin 12 although it picked up satellites very well and was quite happy lying in the scuppers. .
I found the biggest drawback to be the very limited storage space for routes .
The 72 and the 72 H were a great improvement.