Garmin 3006c - two locations - Y-Split

Tintin

Visit site
I've just replaced my old chart plotter with a Garmin 3006c (c/w radar). My yacht is small (27') and i mostly sail single handed .

My old chartplotter was smaller so it was mounted on a swinging arm that allowed me to use it in the cabin and also in the cockpit, but the 3006 blocks the companion way too much and also stops me putting the washboards in.

So what I want to do is have two mounts - one inside and one out.

Has anyone tried this? I intend to basically get a second set of cables and Y-split the signals.

I will have the radar connected, along with the GPS aerial, and NMEA input from wind vane (Nasas clipper - I'm told it's OK) and NMEA output to autopilot (Raymarine ST1000) and DSC radio.

Any ideas?

Thanks, chris

relvidge

Visit site
Hi, Have done this with a 2106 chartplotter. Wired up inside connetion first, connection block from NMEA and aerial etc. That worked then bought an extra power/data cable, fed it from up-top to the connection block. Arrangement works, great no more running down-below to check that rock.

Tintin

Visit site
Quick update.

The Y-split didn't work with the Garmin network cable - tried many ways - shielded, unshielded etc.. - but it just wouldn't work. disconnecting several of the 8 cores of the Y-split made everything work again. There were no shorts, no wrong connections. Spent days checking.

The Nasa Clipper Wind (NMEA version) doesn't output the correct NMEA wind sentence for the Raymarine ST1000+. Solution is to buy an NMEA / Seatalk interface, or do without, which is what I'm doing for now.

Everything else works....... at last!

chris