FYI for Greece Cruising

Globalair757

Visit site
Hi Chris and other experts on Greek UTL. I have read several threads on forum regarding UTL and I am very confused . We are negotiating on buy a UK part 1 register yacht that was originally registered in France with EU VAT paid in France. Boat has had 2 owners and has been in Greece since 2019. Questions
1. does the boat need a UTL
2. if it already has a UTL is this transferable to new owner.
will certainly join CA if this purchase proceeds!!
thanks

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi Chris and other experts on Greek UTL. I have read several threads on forum regarding UTL and I am very confused . We are negotiating on buy a UK part 1 register yacht that was originally registered in France with EU VAT paid in France. Boat has had 2 owners and has been in Greece since 2019. Questions
1. does the boat need a UTL
2. if it already has a UTL is this transferable to new owner.
will certainly join CA if this purchase proceeds!!
thanks
1. No
2. I think the user and owner can be updated. The early ones were possibly not recorded on the computer, but they certainly are now.

We had a rash of fines for CA yachts last year - we made Petitions (formal complaint process) on every one. We got the fine for not having a UTL of €1,700 overturned and paid back. But they have declined to answer any petitions, but we think the absence of any further bad behaviour has stopped these incorrect actions. Perhaps they are like the Chinese and loose face......
The important thing is DO NOT invite trouble by going to Port Police or Customs and asking. When moored on a dock wall say in Navplio, just dont make eye contact with ANY official. I they say come to port police - I always ignored them - never complied and they never asked again. Every case where they was a problem originated by owners asking what they should do - having read on Facebook that they must get a Transit log - Effing Facebook please dont be guided by it!

Globalair757

Visit site
I was reading on the forum about having an official declaration made that VAT has not been refunded, should I obtain one from the seller as part of the sales agreement, is there anything else I should be cautious of or check?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
greek stupidity.... you should check if a company owned the vessel at any time, that could point to a private charter use.

Otherwise, it can't harm getting such a declaration from the previous owner and in theory any previous owner, but its a problem associated with Rhodes Customs and the Dodecanese.

Always check that the yacht previous sales were on EU Customs territories. There have been many sales where the documents were signed in the EU but there is no proof that th yacht was also there.... it doesn't matter where the docs were signed....but the yacht must be in the EU