further petrol fume probs

G

Further to me 'Smelly fuel pipe' post, when i took the breather off the tank on my Holiday 224, fuel surged out of the tank pipe (the right-angled bit) all over the bloody place.
Please help:
1) is that normal? I thought the breather might have been blocked to cause the smell in the first place (the boat has been standing for over 8 months and when I brought it back on a trailer, I put a load of fuel in at a garage a month ago. It hasn't been started and is still on the trailer).
2)how the bloody hell do I get rid of the stink now? Some of the petrol must have seeped down the sides and underneath the tank. THere's about 1/2 cm gap between the tank and the well that it sits in..can't get at anything.
3) is there some kind of fuel 'neutraliser' for getting rid of stink??
Any advice gratefully received! It ain't going in the water 'till it's right!

oldgit

Visit site
When had problem with overfilling petrol tank and boat bilges collected fair bit of fuel.I was told to remove drain bung in hull and flood everything with water.In my case salty water so I could use boat and not lose trip out..Then repeated exercise with fresh water via hose most of pong disappeared within half hour or so.Completely whiffy free after drying out in day or two.
Ps add something nicely smelly in final rinse Chanel No 5 ? perhaps.

luckyjimbo

Visit site
Hello again Maxwell
sounds like your having an interesting time there.
What ever you do, don't ave a fag!
When you last filled her up, did you fill till the nozzle clicked, if you did it is possible that the petrol sitting in the breather pipe leaked out of the top of the tank, through the breather/tank connection over the period the boat was not in use, and if so, when you unfastened the breather connection, the petrol that was sitting there, came out, I agree with Old Git wash it out, thoroughly, old spice or brut will get rid of any smell. :))
Regards
James

KevL

Visit site
At least Old spice has a bit of a boaty connection via the advert but if you used Brut maybe you could tell visitors that 'enry Cooper or Barry Sheen were the previous owner for a bit of extra marina cred.

But seriously I'd disconnect the battery/shorepower until you've given it a good flushing out and remember petrol floats on water so you need to make sure you drain it fully before reflushing.

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL