Fuel

ccscott49

Visit site
I was looking at the fuel price forum, even though we have duty free fuel here in UK, it seems to be a trend, that the prices being paid, are getting quite close to the duty paid price of diesel in Spain, Portugal, is this a trend others have noticed, as diesel in the UK is now averaging 32 pence a litre (some places considerably more) and in Spain, its 46. I would just like to know how this is? Is this another case of us being ripped off? or am I being cynical again,. I just find it funny, surely diesel without taxes, is the same price anywhere? after all it all comes from the same few refineries in whichever country and Shell diesel is Shell diesel, just a few musings on a late thursdat afternoon, (bored to tears, finished drilling for a couple of days) OK, views please?

Forbsie

Visit site
It's exactly the same as, for donkey's years, we paid more for 'duty free' cigarettes from BAA or P&O than they cost duty-paid in France or Belgium. No one noticed until duty-free was canned and then we said "Hang on a second..."

Duty Free, Profit Enhanced.

And just to twist the blade a bit, I understand that the fags bought at these outlets are approaching their expiry date and are sold to the outlets for next to nothing just to clear them.

Diesel has got to be the same. Not a lot of outlets and too many people willing to compare the price with high street, tax paid pumps.

BarryH

Visit site
Its probably the price it is because thats what the market will stand. Lets face it, they don't sell it for fun, sell it at a higher price and you make more money. Greed is the word I'm looking for I think!!

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Anybody who pays 32p/l, at least on the S. Coast, needs their head examining because there are plenty of places selling diesel at 24p/l or, in Weymouth, as low as 20.5p/l. I know the big marinas (take a bow, MDL) charge over 30p/l so thats just a total rip-off but what really made me angry recently was to pay 32p/l at Boatworks in St Peter Port, Guernsey where, of course, there is no duty at all

Trevethan

Visit site
Personally I think we're bloody lucky that we aren't charged £4 a litre for a "marine" product *g*

Least in this case boat owners are slightly better off. Though I still object to marinas gouging us on fuel prices.

One reason for the wide price differences I guess, boils down to volume purchase delivery and supply costs - I doubt most marine fuel vendors order enough to get huge bulk discounts.

Of course the other reason might be they are able to make a killing and get away with it... *g*

DepSol

Visit site
There is no VAT at Boatworks but your heavily mistaken if you think there is no duty as fuel here would be alot cheaper if there wasnt. That is why I get it from the tanker @19p pl. If you want call me next time your over and I will arrange it for you.

Dom

Back in the water today ;-)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Dom, I knew there was no VAT in the CI. Do you have a special fuel duty in the CI? How come you can avoid it and pay only 19p/l? Thanks for the offer. I will contact you next time I'm in Guernsey

DepSol

Visit site
Loop hole in the law which the politicians wont change as they have boats ;-)

Send me a PM when you are on the way and I will arrange it for you.

Dom

Back in the water today ;-)

david_bagshaw

Visit site
I agree, the same has happened in Belgium, since the dutch forced yachts to yse road fuel some years ago., rather than be glad of the extra trade, many sullpiers saw this as a method of increasing profits as well.

David
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.euroboating.net>http://www.euroboating.net</A>