fuel gauge

G

How should the fuel guages on my princess 37 be wired in I have two tanks two senders one guage and a change over switch to read either port or stbd tank. They all seem to be wired together and it reads the same for both tanks even when one is full and the other only half full.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I would ask those nice people at Princess to send you a wiring diagram if you havent got one. Much to my delight they were able to find one for my boat - a P32 from 1973 - so very likely they've got one for yours.
I must ask.....does the guage show both full, both half full or something not applicable to either tank?

MoBoChat Images and Profile Pics at www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/mobochat

G

The gauge will have a live and earth, from each tank to the switch one wire from each tank, the switch diverts current which is usually earth return, ie resistance through sender, to terminal on gauge, crap Princess idea really just to save cost on one gauge, answer is buy another gauge, have 2 gauges and split wiring from switch accordingly, sounds like switch is shorting inside as well giving current both ways.
paul js.