Fuel Consumption

Peter_the_Grate

Visit site
I've been trying to estimate fuel consumption rate of my engine. Given that it depends on a lot of things, I accept that at best, it will always be an estimate, but it would be useful to know how far I might go on a tankfull.
I've looked up the engine spec., Yanmar 1GM10, and it shows a graph of specific fuel consumption, with the lowest point of the line at about 75% of maximum revs., which seems quite reasonable. At each side of the graph, the scales show "g/kW" on the left (the scale is numbered 260 280 & 300) and "g/hp.h" on the right (numbered 200, 220 & 240).
Does anyone know what these refer to? I did wodner if they were gallons per kiloWatt hour and gallons per horspower hour, but I guess they're not... Might they be grammes?

Anyone any ideas?

Peter.

G

Fill up your tank(s), set your trip/log to 0, do a few trips round the bay, cruises or whatever, refill your tank(s), note the amount required, note the distance travelled, do the arithmetic. Do this for a few trips and you will soon get an idea of what your fuel consumption is. Remember that the engine specs are for the engine without the boat attached.

G

Yup they are grammes per Hp per Hr, but also do a "road test" fill the tank drive round the bay for a couple of hours and refill the tank,,do the sums and then add about 25% safety factor (for your own peace of mind).

andrewbarker

Visit site
Re: Yep! Grammes they are! *NM

It may hurt the sensibilities, but go and buy this months "Motor Boat & Yachting". There's a very full article on calculations for fuel consumption.